Diablo Beelzebub HD Portraits Redone Mod

Diablo 1 HD, codename Belzebub - General forum.
HeathenSkin

Diablo Beelzebub HD Portraits Redone Mod

Post by HeathenSkin »

NEW MOD PORTRAITS

Hi all, I've been playing with the Beelzebub HD mod and cant imagine a playthrough without it. I like the new classes and the overall quality of the mod is very nice. I have one gripe though and that's the character portraits. They don't fit at all and feel as they were placed as a joke perhaps. Arnold Schwarzenegger from Conan as a portrait for barbarian and some Game of Thrones images for the other 2 classes... I think (assassin and necromancer).

I wanted to make my own portraits using assets from Diablo 2 to match the portraits of the original 3 characters (warrior, rogue, sorcerer) but couldn't get it to work as the sprites didn't really match the new portraits and The artwork I found didn't fit together with the other original characters. So I started from scratch and built whole new portraits for all the characters using artwork from around the net.

I tried to keep it as consistent as I could using different artists but continuing with a certain style. I also tried to make the portraits look like the sprites as they look when you create a new character. I used MPQ Edit to extract the .pcx file for the portraits the mod had used and built my own on top of that template with the help of
Juggernought memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=1854 to write the files into the data.mpq.

I also had to redo some portraits as the game does not render alpha channels 32bit for images without color degradation. mostly the necromancer. the green flame didn't respond well so I changed it to a skull.

I had this Installed on every game since but thought i lost the file when I moved. Thank you Internet and google drive as I found it again for a fresh install and would like to share it with the community. I hope this one change brings more value and appreciation for the Beelzebub HD mod. Happy gaming!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/114bEAe ... Z9dbw/view

To install just place the data.mpq into your Diablo\Data\game_data folder and override the Beelzebub HD mod version copy also named data.mpq. Just override.

As far as I Know this works with Beelzebub current vr.1045 and may cause you to start a new game.
qndel
Global Mod

Re: Diablo Beelzebub HD Portraits Redone Mod

Post by qndel »

This looks pretty cool however I think you could give AI a shot - from what I've seen it got pretty powerful and maybe it could generate something interesting :D
HeathenSkin

Post by HeathenSkin »

I thought of that but this was originally made like 4 years back before AI took off and I actually never figured out how to implement the images into the data file. otherwise id give it another go but maybe for the Tchernobog mod. If you manage to AI cook something up...send it up
BlairBauch

Post by BlairBauch »

Character creation is very interesting. I can't wait for you to review each character.geometry dash 23
Juggernought

Post by Juggernought »

hi, guys. long time no see. Sorry, my old notebook was partially dead, so i had problems with remembering password. Sorry for not replying - the pm inbox is wery small, and it has no place fo new messages. About game- the Diablo uses 256 color palette. so you can''t add 32bit images. The mpq file is an archive, and as far as i know, the procedure used to load a file from it needs exact file name to find its position. So to unpack/repack mpq files you need the universal file list for all blizzard games or just for this one game. The diabdat.mpq contains all files, some unused sprites, maps, scripts and sounds and other stuff not been added in game. Noktis added all quests that been not implemented in final diablo vesrsion, and packed all new files,needed for belzebub, in file data.mpq So , character selection screen uses files in data.mpq. To modify it, you need the file list, which you can find inside the belsebub.exe. If you open it in some text viewer, you'll find two groups of files, one for diablodat.mpq and another for data.mpq. So you can just cut it, and use with the mpq edit
Juggernought

Post by Juggernought »

as far as i remember, the graphics stored in 256 color pcx files. I used the old smacker tools from blizzard to convert images to pcx using game palette. You can use the new bink tools, but for me, the old one is enough. Then you can just drag modded files in mpqedit window with opened mpq archive and save the changes. About Tchernobog- i never played it, because it has no single player. Or had no :-). About file i sent you -the web file storage link i used, is dead, and i must find the file in half-dead old hard disk, so first i tried, then maybe had other things to do, sorry