Beginner Necro

Diablo 1 HD, codename Belzebub - General forum.
D1sfigur3d

Beginner Necro

Post by D1sfigur3d »

So i started off my first Necro. Cleared normal, now in nightmare dlvl 16. Currently clvl 32, just got the blood ritual ability. Been putting all of my stat points into VIT so far. Is this a correct approach? Do u need to put into MAG as well? As far as i understand the only ability that benefits from VIT is skeleton rising so i have some doubts if its worth sacrificing all points for a single skill. On the other hand if u divide available points equally between VIT and MAG to make ur Necro be able to cast spells he is not going to be a good caster anyway, definately not as good as a Sorc and definately not good enough in hell/torment. So it seems to me that u could end up with a character weak on both sides of the coin instead of making him good at something single. I dont know.

Advices of experienced Necro players r highly appreciated.
Ugily

Re: Beginner Necro

Post by Ugily »

Level 56 necro here. Early on, I divided points into MAG, VIT, and STR; mostly VIT. The method of play I was using was combo summons, distance spells to break up mobs, and melee to finish off the battle. that was great through Nightmare and into Hell. By the lower Caves areas, summons became the primary tactic with some AOE spells. It is obvious that the minions are weaker than they could have been if I had put much of the STR into VIT instead.

The game completely changes in Torment. Battle now is mostly summons. Keep your army at the max - keep 15 skellies, as many zombies as possible, and revives going. Keep your Golem up. Usually, your army of minions will handle just about everything until it comes to the bosses and enemy archers. For mobs, you will still need to loosen them up with Meteor or Ice Storm using some equipment that reduces their elemental defenses. Stone Curse will help against some bosses. Bone Curse will be a primary spell against bosses that can be affected. Teleport and Telekinesis will be commonly used. To clear out strays quickly, the TeleMurder trick/cheat/bug works very well. Lower level spells become less useful however, Holy Bolt is still good against undead.

Necro requires lots of HP and very fast health regeneration. Optimally, you should regen as fast as you can revive and cast meteor cluster.
Ugily

Post by Ugily »

A feature suggestion that would work well would be to restat one skill point per each Clvl achieved. So currently character is awarded +5 stat points to distribute per level. It would be nice feature to be able to reallocate +-1 stat point at each level.

Example in this case. Currently Necro has been putting a few points into Str to get through melee oriented battles. Now, later in life the battle has changed to Casting Spells with Mag needed to learn spells and cast with mana. Now, even later in life, those Mag points could be redist to Vit as the battle depends on having stronger summons.
Ugily

Post by Ugily »

A bug/feature upon reaching level 60 allows all ability points gained to leveling to be completely reapplied.
D1sfigur3d

Post by D1sfigur3d »

Thank you for ur detailed expertise!

My necro is currently clvl36 and still going all into VIT. Just reached Hell/Hell, wasn’t much trouble. Using Harridans set since clvl25 for spell levels boost. Thanks to the collection of various harridan items rolls harvested by my other characters I could pick up those that boost chainlightning mainly. CL at ~lvl14 still helping me a lot to clear out packs of mobs. VIT is currently over 400, Skellies can hold the line. Think I’m a put everything into VIT further on since I’m already one step away from Torment.
Ugily

Post by Ugily »

Even though I probably messed up by putting so much into Str and Mag, I can still hold my own in Torment. Currently in the Terror Domain, I could probably complete the level and finish Torment Diablo if I put in the effort.

In hindsight, I would also one day make another Necro and put a lot into Mag so I can max out spell levels. Then at level 60 redist into Vit.
D1sfigur3d

Post by D1sfigur3d »

Ur input is much appreciated
D1sfigur3d

Post by D1sfigur3d »

Upd:
Just cleared Hell. Been going all into VIT. Diablo killed by skellies and revives+bone spirit with skull collector on. Seemed easier than Nightmare due to better minions health pool. Now on into Torment.
Misyu

Post by Misyu »

I'm level 29 necro and still don't have a 'revive' skill active. Why is that?

Also - i wasted most of points on MAG - im 125 mag and only 52 vitality :)

this is tchernobog

qndel
Global Mod

Post by qndel »

because revive is a lvl 32 skill
magic doesn't mean waste in tchernobog - it gives your minions more elemental/magic penetration so going magic is a viable option as well