Crafting + Salvaging General Questions

Diablo 1 HD, codename Belzebub - General forum.
m1rado

Crafting + Salvaging General Questions

Post by m1rado »

Hey all! I'm trying to get best results from crafting, but so far I'm having a lot of trouble finding Flawed Emeralds and I'm wondering if there's anything I might be doing wrong?

My basic routine was this:
- Sell all drops for gold, save up a big chunk, then go to Gheed for magic items to salvage.
- Gamble only for items that cost <= 4k gold so as to get the maximum amount of salvageable items

So far this process has been relatively successful, but I'm noticing that there is a conspicuous lack of Flawed gems. It seems like the most likely drops are the lowest-quality oils, or regular, non-flawed gems.

It seems odd to me that the lowest-quality gems are actually rarer than the higher-quality ones, especially given that there isn't any recipe for downgrading gems..

Given that you only get the ability to salvage around lv10 in the caves, I thought maybe that I should be farming for items around there, so I switched over to my barbarian and farmed in lv10 for a good long while, but that didn't seem to give any better results.

What does everyone else do to get mats? Any particular rules you use for what to salvage vs. sell? Any tips on when to start focusing on crafting vs. when to save mats? Currently I'm not quite yet able to defeat diablo normal, so maybe things get better in crafting in nightmare?

Thanks!
Ugily

Re: Crafting + Salvaging General Questions

Post by Ugily »

Pick one of your characters to be your blacksmith. All new crafting scrolls go to that character first. During game play, place all unwanted magic items in the shared stash. Use that primary blacksmith character to salvage everything. Then as items are crafted, those can be transferred to whichever character needs the item.

Get past Normal difficulty and get into Nightmare as quickly as possible. Normal play is pretty much all about the quests for the trophy items. The difficulty is pretty challenging. Once in Nightmare, the drops will begin to get better. Then you can outfit new characters with whatever crafted equipment build you want.

I have a Rogue and a Warrior in Normal/Nightmare that are equipped with full set items and were able to blow through Normal very quickly. I bet that with good quality crafted items, progress would be very quickly as well.

I think that most players here would agree that the only difficulty levels that matter are Normal and Torment. Just get to Torment as quickly as possible. Nightmare and Hell are mostly for gaining stats from the quests. Most of the Set items and Unique items are designed and useful for Hell difficulty. For Torment, only the highest Ilvl items and weapons with Ignore Target Defense, Reduce Resist, and % Crits are useful.
m1rado

Post by m1rado »

Great info, thank you!

Sadly, I'm having a hell of a time killing diablo. I've got maxed resists, but he just absolutely deletes me even so and he's got enough health that it takes a good long time to kill... So I continue grinding out exp and drops while gathering Crafting materials!
Ugily

Post by Ugily »

In Normal, you can take out Diablo with Guardians with most characters.

With a Barbarian, get a fast weapon with life leach.
DravenTheWicked

Post by DravenTheWicked »

Where and/or how can i find this Unique Upgrade Recipe....

or better tier recipes in general>?

thanks
riesa

Post by riesa »

m1rado wrote: 09 Jun, 2020 21:22 Hey all! I'm trying to get best results from crafting, but so far I'm having a lot of trouble finding Flawed Emeralds and I'm wondering if there's anything I might be doing wrong?

My basic routine was this:
- Sell all drops for gold, save up a big chunk, then go to Gheed for magic items to salvage.
- Gamble only for items that cost <= 4k gold so as to get the maximum amount of salvageable items

So far this process has been relatively successful, but I'm noticing that there is a conspicuous lack of Flawed gems. It seems like the most likely drops are the lowest-quality oils, or regular, non-flawed gems.

It seems odd to me that the lowest-quality gems are actually rarer than the higher-quality ones, especially given that there isn't any recipe for downgrading gems..

Given that you only get the ability to salvage around lv10 in the caves, I thought maybe that I should be farming for items around there, so I switched over to my barbarian and farmed in lv10 for a good long while, but that didn't seem to give any better results.

What does everyone else do to get mats? Any particular rules you use for what to salvage vs. sell? Any tips on when to start focusing on crafting vs. when to save mats? Currently I'm not quite yet able to defeat diablo normal, so maybe things get better in crafting in nightmare?

Thanks!
Quality of a gem depends on clvl required to equip it, afair. I've never made charts that could show from which level you can get flawed's. Try to make few Chamber runs and LT runs on Normal, and see which one give you flawed's
Ugily

Post by Ugily »

DravenTheWicked wrote: 13 Jun, 2020 22:29 Where and/or how can i find this Unique Upgrade Recipe....

or better tier recipes in general>?

thanks
Just keep progressing and grinding. The crafting scrolls are rare drops, but eventually you will gather some up and add to your crafting abilities.

Salvage everything to build up the materials inventory. Gems are upward up-gradable as well. Excess oil can be sold off.

Crafting will be different in Tchernobog. I have heard that it is one scroll will produce one item but with less crappy stuff possible.
riesa

Post by riesa »

@m1rado I checked flawed emeralds. You're getting them for salvaging low level uniques. At least i get it only when i'm salvaging a bunch of items with low level unique inside. I didn't get it with rares nor magical.