Games crashes when character gets hit

Diablo 1 HD, codename Belzebub - General forum.
Nehelenia

Games crashes when character gets hit

Post by Nehelenia »

Hello, I tried the game for the first time today and I keep getting crashes.
I finally realised that the game crashes whenever my chacracter gets hit by mobs. I tried creating a new character to check if the character was the problem but I still get crushes.
I running on version beta 1.045 on windows 10 from my flash drive
Wendigo

Post by Wendigo »

Welcome to the forums!
Obvious question first: why have you decided to run it off a flash drive instead of a copy on the desktop? I was trying to recreate your problem and didn't get any crashes but did get a weird 'low on data' message when trying to run a copy from a flash drive I had lying around, so maybe the old-ass game this mod is based off of just doesn't like the extra step in the data stream.

If you'd like to continue using the flash drive, we can go through a couple of extra steps:
1. First we need to make sure the game/drive itself isn't the issue, so go ahead and see if the crashes persist on another computer. If they do try a reinstall of the base game and if it's still there a different flash drive.
2. This one's a little cryptic. We need to make sure the flash drive isn't requesting a constant save state from the game. Start up a game, take an item you don't mind losing (5 gold or buy a white ax or something) and drop it in the village, then exit quickly. You don't have to be lightning fast or anything but the sooner you hit ESC the better. Exit the game completely and restart with the same character. The thing you dropped should be gone forever; if it's still there let us know.

Lastly, not tied to the flash drive at all, can you be more specific on what you mean when you say the game crashes? Does it freeze, boot you to the main title, or kick you straight to the desktop? I'm also a little unsure what you mean by 'hit by mobs', so if you would like you can elaborate on that as well. I assume you mean when you get hit twice or more in rapid succession?

Edit- almost forgot, make sure you're running the game as an administrator and in compatibility mode. Right click the Belzebub icon you use to start a game and select those options.
Butcher's Brains Collected: 10
Izual's Brains Collected: 1
Smith's Brains Collected: 2
Andariel's Brains Collected: 1