Kinda New, I Have A Couple Questions

Diablo 1 HD, codename Belzebub - General forum.
Dargon

Kinda New, I Have A Couple Questions

Post by Dargon »

So I picked this mod up a few days ago. Never really been to into Diablo, usually doing a normal playthrough once a year. But this mod has really got me into it and I've actually made my first dive into nightmare.

And boy am I getting my ass kicked. So I have a couple questions.

1: I've been playing on Belzebub. What's the difference between that and Tchernobog?

2: How many attribute points are you able to get? Knowing this would help me plan greatly and I can't find anywhere that gives an answer. Also, how many perma upgrades do the attributes get (from quest rewards). This question is also assuming doing everything in each difficulty.
Wendigo

Post by Wendigo »

The level cap is 60, so you get 300 spendable points to upgrade your stats through levels throughout the game.
You will get 5 more spendable points for doing the Infestation of the Worms and Island of the Sunless Sea quests. You can do each of the these quests once each per difficulty level, for 40 more spendable points.
Lastly, you will get +3 to each base stat* for completing the Black Mushroom and Lost Treasure quests, again once each per difficulty, for +24 to each stat total. [*- Barbarians can't gain base MAG so instead get 3 spendable points.]

So over the course of the game you will get 340 spendable points and 24 to your stats (unless you're a Barb). Note that the max cap for all the stats have been removed in this mod so you can go as high as your equipment will go. It is not uncommon to have at least one stat in the thousands by the end of the game, so I wouldn't sweat your point distributions too much, you can always make up any deficiencies, and then some, with a little grinding.

[Also from quests you will get a +1 to both your Guardian and Golem spells if you do everything, once each difficulty. This is important because those spells will require such absurd prerequisite MAG scores that it is otherwise effectively impossible to max them out to level 15. I know you didn't ask about that but it goes hand in hand with the subject of quest benefits.]

The Belzebub mod is single-player, and has all quests enabled, including a bunch of new ones that were planned for the original Diablo but were removed; Tchernobog is designed for multi-player and most of the quests were taken out to prevent reward camping and other unfun stuff. Importantly, however, the Tchernobog mod has recently gotten new developers who are working to solve and improve that one after a hiatus of many, many moons, while Belz has been stagnant. Both have hi-res graphics, new items and classes, and share many other improvements.

Welcome to the forums!
Butcher's Brains Collected: 10
Izual's Brains Collected: 1
Smith's Brains Collected: 2
Andariel's Brains Collected: 1
Dargon

Post by Dargon »

Hey thanks for the reply.
The level cap is 60, so you get 300 spendable points
If the level cap is 60, wouldn't you get 295 since you don't get 5 at level 1?
It is not uncommon to have at least one stat in the thousands by the end of the game
Say what now? I'm going to assume this is from equipment. I've decided I wanted to try and get the Griswold Legacy set for fun. The most I can see it gives in one stat is about +100 strength. So is that set particularly weak or something?
Wendigo

Post by Wendigo »

You are correct, it's 295, my apologies. I was hurrying through the description.

Essentially, the set/unique items will not be pumping your stats nearly as much as the crafted items you'll be making by the end game. They have other useful affixes instead, like life leech or spell levels or whatnot. It's by no means necessary to have 1000+ points in a stat to win the game, but the higher your prime stat the more damage your class abilities will do, so most people use any less effective slots they have to craft something that just pumps the hell out of their prime stats. With the highest-tier recipes, you're getting 6-8+ random affixes per item so it's not hard at all to get, like, +40 all-stat AND +40 prime stat on just a single piece, as well as other useful affixes.
Dargon

Post by Dargon »

Speaking of crafting, there was another thing I wanted to ask that I just remembered.

When you craft equipment you have to provide a piece of equipment. If the item you craft with has enchantments on it, are they completely replaced or does the crafted item add on to it?
Soundboy

Post by Soundboy »

Nope the item is entirely rewritten
Wendigo

Post by Wendigo »

The 'Upgrade X' recipes (upgrade magic item, unique item, or set item) will turn a Tier 1 piece of equipment into a tier 2 piece, from 'rags' to 'tatters' for instance, without losing the old abilities, but that is definitely the exception.