Necromancer scaling - what are the facts?

Diablo 1 HD, codename Belzebub - General forum.
GammaLeak

Necromancer scaling - what are the facts?

Post by GammaLeak »

I'm new to this mod but I'm loving it so far. I'm trying to play a Necromancer, but I'm having a hard time understanding precisely how I want to distribute my attribute points.

All the in-game prompts say that Necromancer minions scale with Vitality and Character Level. However, a poster in another thread here (awake.diablo1.eu.org/necro-strategy-t2114.html) says that Strength and Dexterity also positively impact the Necromancer's minions.

I recently got an item that added a significant Strength boost when I was at level 11, a helm that gives +9 Strength. After adding 5 points via level up and then putting that helmet on, the UI still says that my skeletons only do 5-10 damage.

I'm starting to wonder if Strength and Dexterity modify the minions at all. If they do, it must not be reflected at all by the mod's UI. I'm also not seeing my skeletons ever do more than 9 damage (rolling a 10 must be difficult).

Can someone confirm and demonstrate what the facts are regarding Necromancer scaling?
Wendigo

Post by Wendigo »

My only advice is that you will want to give your minions a little time and a few more levels to see a more dramatic change. At 11th level they aren't going to see a lot of advancement no matter what you do to them, but they do get exponentially more powerful as you gain XP, and hopefully at that point you'll be able to test it yourself.

Mostly though I'm just bumping your thread to the top for others to look over. It would be rude of me to try to bully you into my earlier assertion, so hopefully someone else here can confirm.
Butcher's Brains Collected: 10
Izual's Brains Collected: 1
Smith's Brains Collected: 2
Andariel's Brains Collected: 1
GammaLeak

Post by GammaLeak »

Thanks, Wendigo! And I'm not saying you're wrong, I just wasn't seeing the "results." I thought I would see.

It sounds like you're saying the calculation looks something like this:

Skeleton STR = Skeleton Base STR + (Character STR * (x * Character LVL)

where x is some fractional number like, say 0.1 or 0.01 even.

So, maybe that's not the precise formula, but if it's something like that then STR and DEX increases at low levels would do very little but would have more and more impact as total character level increases.
danielson

Post by danielson »

So far in Beelzebub my necromancer is level 28, my base STR and DEX are both 21. I have a total 42 All Attributes on me from equipments, 19 DEX from my amulet and I have a 55 stat points unspent.

I backed up my character and spent all 55 points to STR = no changes in skeleton damage (no hidden extra damage either)

I reset my character with the original save and spent all 55 points to DEX = no changes in skeleton accuracy/defense either (no hidden extras)

My conclusion is that the ingame description of the skeleton is correct but who knows, since I don't have that much extra STR/DEX as a level 50 character with awesome crafted equipments. However, in Tchernobog STR and DEX don't affect skeletons in any way.
Miacis

Post by Miacis »

I think 55 points is enough to tell ehe difference if it works or not. Good that skellies are working as intended.
Diablo HD is the best mod ever. Still waiting for Tchernobug fixes...
Wendigo

Post by Wendigo »

I concur. Sorry for the spread of misinformation.
Butcher's Brains Collected: 10
Izual's Brains Collected: 1
Smith's Brains Collected: 2
Andariel's Brains Collected: 1
GammaLeak

Post by GammaLeak »

Thanks for the research danielson! I really appreciate it.
riesa

Post by riesa »

Skellies stats are also scaled with difficulty. I remember that few years ago my clvl40 necro never had any problems with bosses in Terror Domain (with minions only), even with Diablo himself, but on normal it was struggle... I didn't had time to reraise my skellies. Spells only, cause they were useless there... :/