Game crashes when I buy something.

Diablo 1 HD, codename Belzebub - General forum.
Dune_Lgt

Game crashes when I buy something.

Post by Dune_Lgt »

Hi everybody,
I have a warrior lvl18 and a mage lvl17 and with both of them i'm not able to buy anything from anyone who sell something in town (game crashes and i'm back at the desktop).

It happens when i reach this level cause when they were 8 to 12 more or less it didn't happen.
If I create a new caracter everything seems fine cause they are level 1 I presume.

Does anybody have some similar or same problem ?
My S.o. is Windows 10 64 bit.

Thank you.
Wendigo

Post by Wendigo »

So let me get this straight: You can still pick up stuff, like if you drop a pile of money on the ground you can pick it back up no problem, and you can still loot dungeons, but when you go to buy something, anything, even a potion, the game hard-crashes you back to the DT? And... this problem gets worse the higher level you are?
Why do I have the House M. D. theme song in my head right now?

The odds are you've got a buffering error and we're going straight for the nuclear option. Open Belzebub and make a copy of the whole Data folder, sticking it somewhere safe (I'd suggest a new folder on the desktop). Then delete the whole game and do a complete reinstall of both the game and the mod. Once you're done, copy the Data folder back in, right-click the Belzebub icon (that you use to start the game), make sure you 'run as administrator' and while you're there 'troubleshoot compatibility,' following any suggestions your computer makes.

If that doesn't work make sure your audio drivers are up to date:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hel ... te-drivers

It's just so damned specific of a problem I figure it's got to be keyed to some silliness with a sound effect.

Also, by any chance are you happening to use the GoG version of the base game? I have a feeling I'll be asking that question an awful lot in the coming days, lol.

I wish this were under more felicitous circumstances but still, welcome to the forums!
Butcher's Brains Collected: 10
Izual's Brains Collected: 1
Smith's Brains Collected: 2
Andariel's Brains Collected: 1
Dune_Lgt

Post by Dune_Lgt »

The problem appears only when I buy something from the stores in town. In the exact moment when i right click on a item to buy.

I'm running Belzebub over the original version of Diablo, installed with the CD and updated to v1.09 by the original patch.
I didn't try it over the GOG version, which I have. Do you think that I should try with it too ?

I'll update the drivers (I think they already are but i'll give it a try anyways) and I'll proceed as you say.

I'll let you know.
Thank you very much !!
Wendigo

Post by Wendigo »

What would be ideal is if you can do a separate install on both the GoG and the disc version with the mod, so if the GoG version mysteriously clears up your problem you'll be good to go and if not we'll still be able to help you out here without having to try to crack into the changes GoG made.
Dune_Lgt

Post by Dune_Lgt »

Exact problem with the gog version.

My windows drivers are all updated.
GammaLeak

Post by GammaLeak »

For what it's worth, I get intermittent crashes when pressing the "sell" button at a vendor. It just happened to me with Adria. I can't quite remember if it's ever happened for me with Griswold.

I'm running the game/mod on Linux using Wine 3.03. I had it on Windows 7 compatibility but just changed to to Windows XP (maybe that will improve things???)

Anyway, it sounds to me like there is some kind of bad bug in the vendor code in general.
Wendigo

Post by Wendigo »

Yes, the fact that the problem persists between versions is a big red flag that there's something wrong with the version of the mod you got, Dune_Lgt. If you haven't already I'd suggest deleting it and grabbing another copy (although on the plus side you can just overwrite the old files this time instead of doing a hard delete). Just to cover all our bases you should be downloading from the first link here to ensure the latest version:
https://mod.diablo.noktis.pl/download

As GammaLeak intimated there IS a known bug that involves selling stuff to Griswold/Adria before they stop talking, and if a new copy of the mod doesn't work that would be our next step. It's possible you just have a very virulent version of that. Go up to Griswold, click on him and let him start talking, then don't touch anything for, say, 10 seconds after that, and see if that fixes your problem. It isn't much of a workaround but at least it'd be something. Then just to be safe when you buy something do a drag-and-drop instead of a right-click.

Also gonna level with you, if the above doesn't work you might want to consider additionally asking the GoG people for their input, since you do have their version and all. I'm more than happy to help you work this out but this might be a tedious process of trial and error, and they have a lot more tools at their disposal that could cut the time down significantly.