Sound problems

Diablo 1 HD, codename Belzebub - General forum.
Bad Seet

Sound problems

Post by Bad Seet »

Hello

In my case, the sound effects are always gone in battle. Mobs die without sound, chests open, item drops, shots with the bow, everything is still there in the beginning and then goes away after a few seconds. Then a sound comes in between and then it's gone again.
When I change the location, the sound is back. But the music goes smoothly the whole time. It also seems to work in the city with the people.

What is this problem and how can I solve it?
Playing without sound is terrible..

I have a soundblaster x-fi Titanium Card and i have the last driver for it.

Thanks 4 help.
Wendigo

Post by Wendigo »

First things first. Plug in a pair of earphones and see if the problem persists. Give your keyboard a good cleaning to get rid of any sticky keys or shorts in there. If it's a wireless keyboard, do a reset (pull out the keyboard dongle on your computer then plug it back in), and change the batteries. Repeat that process for your mouse. It's a long shot that the problem is caused by user-end hardware but there's always that chance.

Then go to Control Panel > Troubleshooting > Sound and do a diagnostic. After that's done and you've followed their suggestions, go to Settings > Hardware > Sound, and while you're there go to Settings > Themes > Sound to make sure there's nothing else trying to countermand the game FX. You also might try Windows > All Apps >your sound card's brand name to make sure it didn't secretly install it's own control panel that's been running in the background this whole time.

Then go to the Belzebub.exe skull icon you use to start the game, right-click, and make sure you're running as an administrator and it's in compatibility mode. Hopefully our resident expert on this, hldemi, will weigh in if he's got more focused advice on this step.

If none of that works, it's time to do a reinstall (AFTER you've made a copy of your save data and stuck it somewhere safe). I probably should have led with this since odds are definitely in favor of it being a corrupted soundbite file, but it's such a pain I wanted to make sure it wasn't any of the easy fixes first.

If none of that works, more information is always appreciated.
Butcher's Brains Collected: 10
Izual's Brains Collected: 1
Smith's Brains Collected: 2
Andariel's Brains Collected: 1
Bad Seet

Post by Bad Seet »

Thank you.

When I turn on my headphones and use them, the sound works.
The headset is connected to a USB port.
I also use Windows 8.1 ;)

So it will somehow be a problem with the sound card and the game itself is fine.

So I can play with sound then.

Thanks so much for the help.
Wendigo

Post by Wendigo »

I'm glad we got it figured out for you, but I wouldn't suggest blaming it all on your sound card just yet. It could just as easily be a loose connection, fried cord, or bad speakers.
Welcome to the game.
Wendigo

Post by Wendigo »

I'm glad we got it figured out for you, but I wouldn't suggest blaming it all on your sound card just yet. It could just as easily be a loose connection, fried cord, or bad speakers.
Welcome to the game.
SkyrosX2

Post by SkyrosX2 »

And Wendigo saves the day again!
Skaggig

Post by Skaggig »

Seems to be the sound card causing the problem. I have the same card and the exact same sound issues as OP. I'm using headphones connected to the sound blaster. There's nothing wrong with my headphones nor my sound card. It works fine with everything else. Tried reinstalling the game and the mod, but to no avail. I run the game in compatibility mode and as admin.

I guess I could switch to the integrated motherboard sound, but that's quite a hassle for just one game. I'd rather get the problem sorted out. Any good ideas of what to do about it?

Edit: Tried the game without Belzebub and there were no sound issues then.