Ogden's sign post quest problem

Diablo 1 HD, codename Belzebub - General forum.
Iron Oyster

Ogden's sign post quest problem

Post by Iron Oyster »

Hi there, I'm playing Diablo 1 with the Belzebub mod for the first time (before that I had played the original until the butcher on a cousin's computer ages ago) and I had a problem with that quest. I was allowed to take the tavern's sign post from the chest before talking to Snotspill, I saw the exclamation mark over his head, didn't know it was related to the same quest, so I talked to him and automatically gave him the sign, without the dialogue in which he asks for it. I'm very frustrated for I didn't want to do this. Is there a way for me to undo this/load a prior save?
I searched the forum and didn't find a post about that quest. Thanks in advance!
Last edited by Iron Oyster on 17 May, 2018 5:27, edited 1 time in total.
It's a me
Wendigo

Post by Wendigo »

All Ogden gives you for completion on the first difficulty is the Harlequin Crest, which is awful. It's no big deal to skip it and almost definitely worse than what you're currently wearing...even if you're just wearing a standard white helm. I understand the frustration might be more than just the item reward but even when you complete the quest Ogden says "Oh, you didn't have to return the sign but I suppose it saves me the bother of getting another one made," so the characters themselves don't care.

If you wish to avoid that sort of thing in the future, you can make a back up of your player_save subfolder under the data folder; this is suggested anyway in case the game craps out on you.

Welcome to the game.
Butcher's Brains Collected: 10
Izual's Brains Collected: 1
Smith's Brains Collected: 2
Andariel's Brains Collected: 1
hldemi

Post by hldemi »

I had no issues with that. Simply run game in compatibility mode and It will cause Ogden to reset reward each time you talk to him.
Iron Oyster

Post by Iron Oyster »

All Ogden gives you for completion on the first difficulty is the Harlequin Crest, which is awful. It's no big deal to skip it and almost definitely worse than what you're currently wearing...even if you're just wearing a standard white helm. I understand the frustration might be more than just the item reward but even when you complete the quest Ogden says "Oh, you didn't have to return the sign but I suppose it saves me the bother of getting another one made," so the characters themselves don't care.

If you wish to avoid that sort of thing in the future, you can make a back up of your player_save subfolder under the data folder; this is suggested anyway in case the game craps out on you.

Welcome to the game.
Yeah, it's for the role playing, kinda ruined it in that save for me.
So about the save game backup I just have to copy the folder and paste somewhere else before launching the game?
I had no issues with that. Simply run game in compatibility mode and It will cause Ogden to reset reward each time you talk to him.
I just tried doing that, went to properties, run in compatibility with windows XP service pack 3 (my OS is windows 7), launched the game, went to the level 4 and quickly found the chest with the tavern sign, but this time, the game doesn't allow me to pick it up. When I click it the character says: "I don't need that.", and snotspill already had his army with him.
It's a me
Wendigo

Post by Wendigo »

Yes, putting the player_save folder anywhere outside of the Diablo folder will hard save those characters in the state you saved them in. Make sure to overwrite frequently; a lot of us have learned to become downright paranoid about the routine since it only takes one bad corruption to really get to ya.

And don't worry about the compatibility thing. It's just a running gag.

For the record, I do hate that quest. It's not enough that it's clearly busywork but the branching-path thing (you can choose to give it to Ogden or for 'free passage' which never materializes) just didn't work, as you know.
Iron Oyster

Post by Iron Oyster »

Yes, putting the player_save folder anywhere outside of the Diablo folder will hard save those characters in the state you saved them in. Make sure to overwrite frequently; a lot of us have learned to become downright paranoid about the routine since it only takes one bad corruption to really get to ya.
By overwriting frequently, you mean pressing alt+tab while in-game going to the saves folder and copying it to the safe place, or playing a little bit, like clearing one level, quitting the game, doing the backup and then returning to the game?
For the record, I do hate that quest. It's not enough that it's clearly busywork but the branching-path thing (you can choose to give it to Ogden or for 'free passage' which never materializes) just didn't work, as you know.
I actually liked the idea behind it, it's a cautionary tale for the kids out there, don't deal with demons, you know, you won't get anything good out of it. And the good ol' witch warned not to allow them to confuse you, as that might be their plan. :)

Also, I read on fan wiki that this quest appears 2/3 of the times, does it means that on the vanilla game you could very well never have that quest in one save? Does that applies to the belzebub mod?

Welcome to the game.
Oh, and thank you!
It's a me
hldemi

Post by hldemi »

I just tried doing that, went to properties, run in compatibility with windows XP service pack 3 (my OS is windows 7), launched the game, went to the level 4 and quickly found the chest with the tavern sign, but this time, the game doesn't allow me to pick it up. When I click it the character says: "I don't need that.", and snotspill already had his army with him.
Service pack 3 does not work with this version of the game 1.045.
Must use Windows 98 NT
Wendigo

Post by Wendigo »

No, I don't think there's any reason to be so paranoid as to rewrite in the middle of sessions or anything like that, I usually only make sure to renew the back up when I hit a milestone of some sort, like I made an important level or got some gratuitously good new item or I played a single session for so long my legs have fused to the gaming chair again. You just want it there in case the game blows up you don't get the double-whammy heartbreak of "oh shit not only did my game blow up I lost my characters!"

I just don't like that in between quests to go kill literal princes of Hell and vampire succubus who are killing the whole town's male population and rescuing forbidden magics from the clutches of the vilest magi, there's also a quest to go do minor carpentry repairs in exchange for some rando's discarded hat. :D

Unlike the original, the Belzebub mod will have every quest show up every playthrough, once per difficulty level, including 'new' ones that were supposed to be in the original but didn't make it onto the final disc edit for whatever reason.
Iron Oyster

Post by Iron Oyster »

Service pack 3 does not work with this version of the game 1.045.
Must use Windows 98 NT
On my pc I had two options: win 98 / win Me and win NT 4.0 (service pack 5), tried both and the same happened, not allowed to put the sign into my inventory.

Anyway, I deleted that save and will start a new one later.

Thank you both for your answers!
It's a me
hldemi

Post by hldemi »

I know for certain that IF you set NT 4.0 ( service pack 3.7) you can pick the sign but only with telekinesis. Regular picking does not work.