Thought I'd Give Sprite Drawing a Go...

Diablo 1 HD, codename Tchernbog - General forum.
radicool

Thought I'd Give Sprite Drawing a Go...

Post by radicool »

I was bored and decided to see whats involved in recreating sprites with improved detail. I guessed the resolution up-sizing at x2.4. I can't believe how time consuming it is to create a 100 x 100 pixel image, yet alone finishing the next frames. The below barrel had about 8 frames all up! I only drew 1 frame :)

I'll admit it's not as 'dark' as the Diablo atmosphere demands and could use a little more detail on the lid. I tried to get the color pallets as close to the original as possible. I spent about 1.5 hours on this. Maybe if I knew what I was doing this would be quicker?

Who else has made Sprites before?
BrightLord

Post by BrightLord »

Nice work but your approach of the problem is wrong. :D

Animations in diablo 1 are not drawn by hand.

All game objects as well as level graphics were created as 3d models. After that they were rendered at correct angles into bitmaps and then paletized.

Resolutions of all game objects are rather low so these 3d models did not require high polygon count and nice textures.

I believe a skilled 3d artist could produce such models without that much effort.

:D
Raz0r

Post by Raz0r »

radicool i really like that barrel
Keep up the great work!
< Experienced Tchernobog player >
radicool

Post by radicool »

Thanks for the replies. How is recoloring achieved in the game? For example there are yellow and black zombies. The ground tiles can be red, blue and gray. We're the models skinned normally, then passed through a filter which changes the hue of the whole texture? Or does the texture have a special layer where the custom color is applied to so only certain parts of the texture are recolored (similar to Warcraft 3)?

Warcraft 3 style - Only part is recoloured

Whole texture recoloured (looks like I can see a red color here for the blood, so perhaps the entire texture ISN'T recolored. There must be a base texture applied to the model before the recoloring is performed).

Hato

Post by Hato »

That's an easy thing to recolor sprites. It's simply engine function to change colors of sprites. No, they dont redraw all monsters just for other colors :)