31 Rogue - need help

Diablo 1 HD, codename Tchernbog - General forum.
LethalLag

31 Rogue - need help

Post by LethalLag »

I'm struggling to push into Nightmare. I'm at 250 DPS @ lvl31 with sacrifice and still don't have the Level 16 Rogue Bow crafting recipe. I can't kill elites in Nightmare fast enough and end up getting swarmed.

I've been doing Normal Lazarus runs to try and get some gear (praying for Bow of the Dead), but aside from a +20 Royal circlet, I haven't had anything worth using.

What kind of gear should I be aiming to get to scale up my damage? Are there better places to farm for higher gear?

Bow and stats:
http://i.imgur.com/QAcAW1V.png

Also, any methods to avoid the ridiculous warrior charge from death knights? They just annihilate my golem.
bansheexyz

Post by bansheexyz »

Battle bows suck, even with an AS increase. Attack speed is king in this game, so you'll need to find a rare hunter's or razor bow with DMG + AS modifiers. You could gamble for one without losing gold by doing save-file swapping (back them up, gamble, replace...), but some people might consider that cheating.

Otherwise, you're stuck grinding looking for items that may not drop. It would be nice if D1 had an imbue quest like D2, because there are way too many weapon types and if you're unlucky with drops, it's frustrating.

As far as the knight charging, yeah it's annoying as hell and needs nerfed. The dmg and stun from it is basically instadeath, it's ridiculous. It's a line of sight and distance thing, so try to avoid being directly ahead of them from afar. Stone Curse works on minibosses, but not bosses. The only way to beat a knight boss is guided arrow around corners and obstacles. You can position yourself with teleport spell. If he's unhasted, you can stay close and bait attack animations to sidestep for a brief attack window.

EDIT: teleport spell, not warp spell
Last edited by bansheexyz on 11 Jun, 2017 11:21, edited 1 time in total.
LethalLag

Post by LethalLag »

Good to know! Thanks!

Sounds like I just need to keep farming for the Rogue Bow recipe and see if I can get a Razor Bow to keep crafting with.

Would be nice to know the qlvl of Razor bows :)
bansheexyz

Post by bansheexyz »

Not sure. If you can't ever find one in a gambling window, then you're not high enough to see them drop.

In my first Rogue run, I got a fairly early drop of Rattlecage that made me feel very lucky. That armor improves your DPS substantially and it got me through Nightmare. I did not, however, get a Heartseeker drop and had to cheat for one to get through Hell mode. I haven't used crafting much.
Miacis

Post by Miacis »

Crafting recipes are big deal - but you'll have hard time finding them. Selffound progression for attack characters is painful AF.
I suggest you making a sorcerer and yoloing hell (or even cave will do) levels in Nightmare difficulty. When you're hunting for specific items, there is nothing better than good clear speed and Socrerer can provide it while being not-so-gear dependant unlike Rogue is. Equip full magic find gear, get your teleport+chain lightning going, and you'll find yourself bulked with good items in basically no time. Don't waste the time on rare mobs that you can't kill fast or safe enough; don't waste time on layouts with lightning immune mobs, go to the level you're comfortable at and get recipes and just good drops for your other classes. This is the easiest way to progress and it brought me quite a lot of good stuff.