suggestion - alternative potion mechanics

Diablo 1 HD, codename Belzebub - General forum.
Lagi

suggestion - alternative potion mechanics

Post by Lagi »

Mechanic of instantly replenishing Health and Mana whenever you drink potions could be tweak by making each drink vastly increase HP/MP regeneration for short period of time.

f.ex. instead of healing instantly 100 HP after drinking Healing Potion, Character regenerate 5 HP/s over 20s.

Drinking multiple potions could end with regenerate only with highest HP/s ratio.

f.ex. potion A - reg. 5 HP/s over 20s, potion B reg. 20 HP/s over 10s. Player drink 2xA +1x B instantly. Character regain 20 HP/s for 10s, after that regen 5 HP/s over 10s (from potion A). One A potion is wasted, dont benefit hero.

If player drink potion in "delayed" fashion, his regeneration will remain for longer time. Drink potion A, wait 15 sec. , then drink second pot A to prolongate regeneration period by another 20 sec.
Constance

Post by Constance »

Hmm I believe it's been tried and abandonned in Diablo 2, can anyone confirm ? ^^
hldemi

Post by hldemi »

This would make glass cannon builds and classes unplayable. What I liked in d1 and disliked in d2 and d3 is this potion mechanic. The only thing i like in d3 is that potion is bind to one buttonm so you can use 1 ,2 ,3 ,4 for skills while here its hard to exchange F1-8 and nuimbers 1-4 with one hand . What balzebub needed is ability to customize keys.
Lagi

Post by Lagi »

guess I need to check the diablo 2 then (i never play it).

you need special key setting to handle potion drinking, because its that important part of gameplay, mhm.. diablo 1 should be named "potion drinking simulator" :D

some builds become unplayable? its always like that when you nerf some overpower function

I put points into vit to reduce micro with drinking. Comfort over powergaming.

offtopic:
I use razer tartarus. This device allow you to bind any keys and also do a lots of QoL macros, also potions,skills/spells in convenient position.

My best macro for Diablo1 is switch-key to constant (0,8 per sec.) do left mouse click. It allow me to just hover mouse over targets to move into position, attack, open door, interact with environment, pick items. When I need loop-function to stop (fumble in the inventory) i just click key-switch again.
Britnoth

Post by Britnoth »

This would make glass cannon builds and classes unplayable.
How is that a bad thing. :P

If you want instant healing, you still have healing scroll and the heal spell. The combination of instant cast with instant heal or instant full mana on an item that can be purchased in bulk was always pretty broken - how do you balance a spells mana cost when increasing it just results in the player chugging a few more potions?