I wanna talk about Goblin Slayer now!

Offtopic
Wendigo

I wanna talk about Goblin Slayer now!

Post by Wendigo »

So this is really, really off topic but since I just realized I'm at 100 posts, I've decided to use that milestone to find out the answer to a question that's been bugging me for a while now. Has anybody else here been watching the Goblin Slayer anime? There's just so much crossover in the adult, gothic fantasy settings that I can't imagine I'm the only one.

Despite the avatar I don't watch a lot of anime, and when I do it's always slice-of-life/ CGDCT ones, so it really actually kind of caught me off guard how much I liked GS. Honestly I don't even know exactly why I like it so much so if you feel like it I'd be more than willing to hear your breakdown of the themes.
Butcher's Brains Collected: 10
Izual's Brains Collected: 1
Smith's Brains Collected: 2
Andariel's Brains Collected: 1
Miacis

Post by Miacis »

The idea to show the act from point of view of non-overpowered protagonist is pretty simple. It was a bit unsettling for me that none of the characters had actual identity (or rather, personality), but at the same time I understood that it was not mandatory for them. Which made me think that the title itself is a satire of some kind. A GS killing goblins, just no more and no less. I haven't read the manga though so I can't speak on how good or bad adaptation is, but it was definitely made very short and had uneven pacing.
The atmosphere though was somewhat fine but nothing special after the first episode. Overall the show was enjoyable for me personally but I understand that it probably doesn't stand out much from the other titles of action genre.
Also, it's a fantasy which is also not isekai, yay. Big plus.
I think people kinda overreacted to Goblin Slayer because aren't used to bloody shows we used to have in 2000's
If you liked Goblin Slayer's atmpsphere, you probably wanna check out Berserk if you haven't done that yet. I'd recommend watching old anime of 1997 and reading manga afterwards if you find yourself hooked.
Diablo HD is the best mod ever. Still waiting for Tchernobug fixes...
Wendigo

Post by Wendigo »

Oh my God, there's a name for reincarnation-MMO anime! Thank you for that, learning that alone has been worth it, lol.

I honestly don't remember if I've seen Berserk or not, that happens to me a lot and is a big reason i don't watch more anime, they tend to blur together. (To be fair, that happens to me with all television shows and movies, though.) There seems to be a lot of truth in what you're saying, like we've cocooned ourselves in so many, uh, more saccharine shows that GS just seems better by comparison. Still I did have to chuckle when you suggested that I might just not be used to bloodier anime, I grew up watching things like Fist of the North Star and Akira, and Elfen Lied is on my list of 'best things ever.' :wink:

If nothing else, Goblin Slayer's had a massive impact on the people I play D&D with. I'm not playing right now but everyone I talk to is suddenly on a massive kick to try to make low-level hordes somehow threatening, lol.
Miacis

Post by Miacis »

I never told about you in particular not being used to blood in anime, but I was referring to average modern viewer. Apologies if the way I put it wasn't clear.
Anyway, if you don't remember watching Berserk, then you most likely never watched it. It's not something one would forget easily. I would highly recommend giving it a try because it isn't called best anime series for nothing! Or one of the best at least (it IS the best manga though according to people's scores).
Diablo HD is the best mod ever. Still waiting for Tchernobug fixes...
Wendigo

Post by Wendigo »

That's one's on me, Miacis, I meant "I just find it funny to think there are people who watch anime who don't know it can get bloody, due to my own experiences with the genre." I also apologize I didn't make that clearer.

I've been watching as much Berserk as I can. That guts guy sure has a lot of angst. I keep feeling the need to even out a little with a little Yuru Yuri, lol. It does make me wonder just why I never felt that from Goblin Slayer or, say, Higurashi When They Cry.