Golem, how to destroy it.

Diablo 1 HD, codename Belzebub - General forum.
Partisan

Golem, how to destroy it.

Post by Partisan »

Hi community, new member here & absolutely loving the game. Must have played the original Diablo a gazillion times back in the day, but this mod is what it should have been all along. Now I'm looking forward to playing this a gazillion times... :D

I do have a question, of course: How to destroy Golem yourself when you no longer need him, like when it's not a good idea to have him open doors and you're better off without him.

In the original game, you destroyed him by summoning a new one, but that doesn't work here.

Cheers!
page

Re: Golem, how to destroy it.

Post by page »

You have an unsummon skill in your tab.
Right next to your recharge staff (if you are a mage).
Partisan

Post by Partisan »

Thanks for that!

And now I feel a bit silly for asking, but in my defense, the X is easily overlooked. Maybe they should make it an icon as well, like a golem with a crack through it. (Any excuse to draw away attention from ones own stupidity, eh? :D )

Thanks again!
page

Post by page »

Na, s alright, have fun with the game. Just be warned, it is haaaaard ;p
Partisan

Post by Partisan »

I know. My level 46 sorcerer is at floor 11 on torment. The expression 'blissful derangement' comes to mind. :twisted:
page

Post by page »

Try Barb and train your inner Buddha! :D

Soc already, uhm, sometimes, uh, poses "interesting challenges", but try melee for eternal meditative bliss! :D

Melee in general with heavy gear dependence, getting frozen being a death sentence, shields being a death sentence with specific mob groups, onStruck being a death sentence with specific mobs/elite affixes, and imho Barb especially with Frenzy speed attack and move speed on basically no attack boxes on enemies plus grid movement positioning (illustration down below) can sometimes get your blood pressure quite high ;p

Illustration:
Me: Oh, too many mobs my toon! Step back a bit, and use force attack to refresh your Frenzy when the first mob comes into range!
Toon: hits slightly in the wrong direction and seems to be slightly too far away so can't hit mobs.
Me: Ok quick go to this nearby barrel and hit it to refresh Frenzy!
Toon: Goes to the barrel, moves beyond it and does nothing.
Me: Clicks furiously.
Toon: Toon hits barrel after losing Frenzy.
Me: Hrmpf, ok ok, well then I guess we have to build up Frenzy again, huh?
Me: Ok, position yourself a step before the mob crowd, attcking the one furthest in front and then force attack and stay your ground.
Toon: moves past the first mob, gets immediately surrounded.
Me: panic teleports out of the pack while emptying half the belt due to getting into hit recovery constantly.
Me: Looks for a choke point, nice and steady, get them mobs like 3 at a time! Toon position yourself!
Toon goes through the choke point but one mob already got through with it.
Me after killing that one mob: Now close the choke so that you get the optimal 3 enemies in front of you.
Toon: does not move.
Me: clicking furiously.
Toon: "I cannot go there"
Me: "FFS!" - Carefully aiming just in front of the toon.
Toon: Starts moving forward.
Me: Yes yes yes! Now attack as soon as you come into range of the mobs!
Toon: turns around and runs away, because I now did not actually click on the ground or the middle mob in the choke point, but on the right one, so my toon now wants to move around the wall to get to that mob, and since he is speeded up ... he leaves the choke point open in a split second.
Me: Waaah!??

:D
Partisan

Post by Partisan »

lol !!!

Nah, melee's not my thang. I'm forever a sorcerer.
I teleport all over the place and pummel the mobs with meteorites, stone curse the uniques until we have the place to ourselves for a nice, intimate conversation and I can introduce them to my pal golem, while I poke at their weak spot.

First thing I do on a floor is figure out who are the bastards that can open doors, and make them a priority.
After that, jumping into a wooden enclosure surrounded by three dozen uglies who are all too thick to grasp the concept of a doorknob is the ultimate fun. Stone cursing one in a doorway is also a good way to stay out of reach of the mobs.

So far, I only had one unique who wasn't vulnerable to anything in my arsenal, except stone curse.
Had to clobber him with my pal, which was tedious as it took 20 minutes. Stone curse, clobberclobberclobberclobberclobberclobberclobber,... repeat, repeat,...

Finished floor 12 today, so no more doors & enclosures going forward. The plot thickens! 8)
page

Post by page »

Hehe, yeah, I have done my fair share of 20 min kills, just because I could not stand to let the sucker "win" by letting him live :D

Eventually I learned to grudgingly prioritize.

Later Cave levels and some of the Hell levels are a lot of fun if you manage to pull the whole map by tele and have a decent break fire res value (got a 37% aranoch, although lower values work too) to apocalypse the whole level down in one go with one elemental drain :D

The setup can be quite difficult, and the mobs better be susceptible to fire without ed already, but the payoff ... hmhmhmmh ;)