Help with normal difficulty Terrors Domain

Diablo 1 HD, codename Belzebub - General forum.
pacificson

Help with normal difficulty Terrors Domain

Post by pacificson »

Ive just gotten my level 27 rogue to terrors domain and im stuck, ive been grinding the fights for ages now but i still can even beat Doomlord Gam'ar and i dont know what else i can do to prep or otherwise beat it, currently i have no way ill beat all 3 bosses before the hour timer on diablo is up, if i matters i have around 210dps and have tried attacking directly and cheesing with guardian and spells, but i just keep getting gibbed when they get close, any help would be much appreciated
Ugily

Re: Help with normal difficulty Terrors Domain

Post by Ugily »

You need better equipment. Bow of the Dead will help.
pacificson

Post by pacificson »

Ugily wrote: 29 Nov, 2020 3:21 You need better equipment. Bow of the Dead will help.
where do i farm for the bow?
D1sfigur3d

Post by D1sfigur3d »

Anywhere. But u better start off a sorc and farm gear for ur rogue first. That’s the right approach.
Fastynator

Post by Fastynator »

The most important thing to know is that due to poor balancing of enemies' damage in this game, Terror's Domain is a wall where equipment dropped in higher difficulties are required to balance that out. So basically, the rogue needs stuff from Nightmare difficulty to beat Normal difficulty. Sorcerer is the one without gear dependence early on and can therefore make it through.

The previous comments recommended the 'Bow of the Dead'. I would say it depends on the dedication vs. patience attitude. I can imagine this bow would turn Normal difficulty into easy mode, but might take very long to find and I can confirm that it is not mandatory to beat Normal (although I needed it for Nightmare Terror's Domain).

My encounter with the rogue in Normal Terror's Domain was about 1 1/2 years ago. I will try my best to recall what happened back then. The following things can be done for preperation:
- First of all, damage is absurd in Terror's Domain, especially from the bosses. Getting full resist (75%) on all elements is mandatory. To survive elemental attacks from bosses, about 400HP + is a good reference. Rings, Amulet, Body Armor, Head Gear, and Belt that can provide elemental resistence and +HP (Attribute + Hit Points, not + Points to Vitality, Vitality Points don't add enough Hit Points) help.
- It's all about damage and Attack Speed. If you happen to find Bow of the Dead, definitely take it. Otherwise, a Hunter's Bow (because it has the highest attack speed) with the highest possible damage output (the bow has both + adds Points to damage and + % increased damage) can do the trick as well, but it will be more difficult. If all equipment, additionally to the defense boost, also provides + Points to Dexterity, it will become easier because rogue gets high damage bonus from Dexterity.
- Heavy Belt or Plated Belt. From my experience, having more Slots for potions is more beneficial than atttributes. The ideal case is to have both.
- Spells are overpowered on Normal difficulty. With the help of +Magic gear stored in the Private or Trade Stash, getting Lightning and Guardian as high as possible can help. Lightning is very powerful and can clear everything non-Lightning immune that the bow cannot fast enough. Guardian is useful against Gam'ar because he dodges a lot when keeping distance. Guardian is an expensive spell, so it's better to have a staff as a secondary weapon with the highest possible number of charges (only works if the gear provides enough + to Magic to reach 61 Magic though). This way, more health potions can be taken to withstand Gam'ar's Bone Spirit. There is a good chance to obtain a non-magical staff of Guradian from Adria. The kind of spell on the staff is not part of the price calculation, so you can get one for only 1175 gold.

The strategy that worked for me for Gam'ar on Normal:
- Defeat all regular enemies in all rooms except for the one with Diablo. With a high powered bow, this should go very fast.
- For the Boss fight, an inventory full of potions. About 3/4 health potions and 1/4 mana potions. The health potions mostly because of the Bone Spirits.
- Constantly keeping distance and using high powered bow and Staff of Guardian (if available). Use the 'Guided Arrow' skill so you can react fast instead of focussing where to shoot. If Gam'ar opens portals, retreat a few steps so only Gam'ar follows, but not the Terrorfiends once they exit the portal.
- A good route for hit and run is the room beneath. If Gam'ar is not dead before you exit the room, you will run into Terrorfiends that stayed behind. Use the Warp spell to teleport to the stairs to avoid them. Use either bow or Lightning to get rid of Terrorfiends that are between you an Gam'ar before continuing the fight.
- Now use hit and run across the long corridor and across the left upper room. If Gam'ar is still not dead before exiting this room or you run out of potions, you are not powerful enough yet.
(- Afterwards, defeat all Terrorfiends within Gam'ar's room. This will be a good place to fight the second boss.)
(- Unfortunately, it has to work on the first attempt. If you die during the battle, it is usually over because there are too many Terrorfiends to handle in the area and Gam'ar just keeps spawning more in the meantime.)

The most annoying part is that the required defence boost and the powerful bow must come from Nightmare difficulty, and the only character known to be able to get there is the Sorcerer.
Ugily

Post by Ugily »

Looking back, I did not find Bow of the Dead until late in Nightmare or somewhere middle of Hell difficulty.

I do remember that I started with Rogue character and played through Normal and Nightmare difficulties with no real trouble or need to farm with other characters. I wish I could remember all of the details, but I seem to have had a Crafted Hunter bow with some speed bonus, a good crafted Rogue Ring. I forget the armor, but in Nightmare I used Iratha Set, so I probably had a few pieces of that. At some point in the Normal Catecombs, I had the Unique Rift Bow that worked pretty good until replaced with Deadly Hunter. I still think I used the crafted Hunter bow to defeat Normal Torment Domain and Diablo.