Help please..last level on Hell Mode

Diablo 1 HD, codename Belzebub - General forum.
chubbystub

Help please..last level on Hell Mode

Post by chubbystub »

Lvl 43 Sorc and I cannot make it past the last level on Hell Mode. I can't even get to diablo. It seems like one unique mob completely stops me in my tracks as they are immune to everything. Literally EVERYTHING and the only counter to them is my level 5 Apocalypse spell which deals a slight amount of physical damage.

I have 367 Magic(no elixir), 1010 Mana.. every spell is maxed out without having more magic with the elixir buff. EVERY resist is maxed. I have a shitty staff but it has -20 lightning resist for chain lightning and weapon swap to -15 fire resist for apocalypse. I'm using chain lightning and apocalypse, and Golem to tank.

I just need to make it past Hell mode to start farming.

It feels like if the wrong Unique mini boss spawns I'm just screwed and I have to make a new game. Any tips appreciated, the furthest I have reached is downing the first two bosses before diablo. Normal, and Nightmare felt like gear checks.. but Hell is absurd because it feels like every Mob has max resists and the only (-negative) resists you can get are from your weapon.

I tried a Rogue..could not pass Normal Mode. Tried a Warrior..could not pass normal Mode. Then I read the forums and came to the realization that a Sorc was needed to farm. Stuck at Diablo Hell mode now.

The Unique mob Elites are literally harder than the bosses as they are just immune to EVERYTHING.

Last thing...I read on the "Quests" for this game mod..and it says if you don't kill Diablo within an hour after entering he pretty much becomes impossible to kill. Is this true???

This is starting to feel as badly made as the initial release of Diablo 3.
chubbystub

Re: Help please..last level on Hell Mode

Post by chubbystub »

I want to keep playing this but I don't know how to. I've been at this part for a day and a half now and it's obscenely difficult. It feels like I need to go back and farm for 50 hours to get perfect gear to maximize damage output. This is absolutely ridiculous.
chubbystub

Post by chubbystub »

I've had the day off today, and have been trying to pass this ALL day. How is this...THIS difficult?
chubbystub

Post by chubbystub »

I've been trying ALL day to beat this..I'm done today. I took a lunch break on this.. a dinner break..why is this THIS this difficult??? I shouldn't need to create a Sorcerer to gear up other classes. This is fucking stupid and whoever created this I hope never creates another game.
Jarring

Post by Jarring »

use meteor cluster + apocalypse for mobs that are immune to everything. just constantly switch between the 2 as they both have 1 second cooldowns.. and make sure to cast the golem on top of it.

It's the only real way to take care of the unique mobs that are immune to everything..

tbh I didn't have much trouble clearing hell.. but i learned how necessary meteor cluster was really early on.. I was facing mobs like that before I ever even found my first apocalypse book..

I'm not sure if you were able to clear everything up until then without meteor cluster, but it's going to be the best spell for mobs like that. it's much better than apocalypse tbh because it hits multiple times AND does more physical dmg with each hit.

I agree, the game has unnecessarily unforgiving stat checks..
Especially for the sorc at lvl 6+ Torment
and lvl 13+ Hell for melee classes(though I haven't tried the barb yet)

I got to lvl 16 and killed Lazarus with the Assassin, but I wasn't able to put a dent into the final level where Diablo is.. Just way too many skeletons constantly spawning lol. I was GOING to at least lvl her to 43 so I can use the Fang of Cerberus + Glory combo, but I found out that the assassin gets a dmg penalty for equipping a shield...which doesn't make sense imho. Like why.. is she just supposed to run through the game without anything in her off-hand the entire time or what? wtf lol

So I ended up just making a warrior to use the sword/shield combo with, and I just now finished Hell mode with him. I mean.. it took foreeever it seemed.. I mean, I wanted to lvl to 43 before I tried Diablo, I didn't think it'd be possible with the infinitely spawning skeles until I was able to use Fang of Cerberus/Glory at least.

It's also crazy how there are physical resistance caps based on the type of armor(leather/mail/plate).. like, even if an armor has a shitload of defense(like Battlemaster's or Dragon's Cage), the physical resistance for those items are capped at 45%.. the mail armors are 55% and plate is 75%.. so as melee, it's a must to equip plate mail.. Shit, atm I'm using an upgraded perfect Rattlecage(around 200 def) on my Warrior and managed to cap his phys resist with it at 75%.. IDK I'm thinking it's probably going to be the best armor for melees. Stoneskin is garbage because stone curse is bugged or something.. whenever it procs on lightning or poison enchanted, the enchant gets crazy buffed and can potentially one shot u if ur not careful. Most chance on struck items are garbage tbh... well at least for melees. well Glory is amazing.. I'd prefer if it DIDN'T have the nova proc, but the fact it also has chance to cast healing on struck makes it all the worth it. not to mention it has +%max all res. really fucking good shield.

I was actually kind of underwhelmed with fang of cerberus.. I thought I was going to get a huge dmg upgrade, but my dmg actually didn't even budge..(switching off Zakarumite's) idk I'm guessing it will get bigger dmg later on especially when I get more crit/crit dmg. + there are a lot of other good things about fang of cerberus that make it best in slot..

I have a Grandfather and Stormshield as well, but I'm not sure.. they aren't the best rolls..I'll have to see. Fang of Cerberus is super fast, which is kinda necessary.

Anyways.. it really feels like this mod was made specifically for one class.. Rogue. Rogue is so overpowered.. The best item in the entire game is a lvl 37 requirement BOW...Hearthseeker.. Basically get this item and you beat the game.
chubbystub

Post by chubbystub »

I finally got him. I literally farmed XP levels up to level 44, I found a nice staff that had +3 level to apocalypse, +34% spell power, -18 fire resistance to enemies, +22 magic. My Apocalypse damage was like 1100-2550ish, it literally more than doubled and I was able to clear up to Diablo pretty easily.

Prior to killing Diablo I was farming him on Nightmare mode as he seemed to be dropping a Unique item almost every run, during the 2nd mini boss of one of my runs I had realized it was on "Hell Mode"(guess i fat fingered out of Nightmare) and decided to just push through. Teleported to him and cast Temporal Slowdown and Elemental Drain and spammed Bone Spirit with my -16% magic res +3 bone spirit staff, got him to about 50% HP pretty quick..then teleported around continuing to spam Bone Spirit when I could afford the HP. Had to run around the map looking for HP healing pots..found some. My entire belt and inventory was full of mana pots and I went through them all. When he was about 25% HP i swapped to my -20% lightning res. staff and started chain lightning him as BS does damage based on max HP. Ran out of mana pots..had to scour the map again and found two mana pots on the ground..teleported back to him with Temporal Slowdown and Elemental Drain + chain light for the kill. Felt pretty good after 2 days of trying to kill him..Gear definitely helps.
chubbystub

Post by chubbystub »

Yeah I hear ya..I made a Rogue to start and could not clear normal..the Torment level 1st boss stopped me in my tracks. Then I made the Sorc to farm and everything up to "Hell" Diablo wasn't too bad Diablo has clearly been a gear check. I struggled with Nightmare Diablo as well..had to go back..farm a few levels/gear in level 10-12 for efficiency. Hell Diablo I tried at lvl 41...I farmed upto 44 and finally got it.
Jarring

Post by Jarring »

you haven't been using meteor cluster at all? Crazy.. I find that spell absolutely necessary.. it's a lot better than apocalypse..

also, I always just use Guardian for Diablo.. super easy fight with Guardian.

Like I said by the time I got to Hell Diablo, I had no trouble at all. Don't think I even died once. It gets kinda fishy once minions start coming out because the Guardians will target them instead of Diablo, but they eventually all disappear once he gets to 50% then it's clear sailing.

Also I use regular Lightning for single targets. It does more dmg and costs a lot less mana.

I very rarely use Bone Spirit..

My sorcerer is stuck on lvl 6 of Torment.. Luckily I found a Hearthseeker on the way there, so I never had to farm Lost Treasure.

My rogue missed 2 of the Golem quests, and I recently found a really nice 6/5 Symbol of Rathma...which would go nicely with my Rod of Onan(on switch) for my Rogue...so I've been thinking of remaking her just for kicks...for fun. just to make sure I can max out Golem this time. + it will be a super fast experience this time around now that I have an upgraded Bow of the Dead and all the low level sets for leveling as well until Hearthseeker.

I mean, I could just continue the Warrior, but idk...it's gonna be a tough climb. the low levels of Torment seem to be pretty easy with my Cerberus/Glory combo which is amazing btw.

I've been wondering if Barbarian gets a dmg penalty for equipping a shield just like the assassin. The single target Warrior skill is very underwhelming, I imagine Barbarian's Frenzy would be much better. The warrior's single target skill with the knockback and defense passive actually does a lot less damage than his Cleave skill(the only reason you'd want to use it is if you're physical resistance isn't capped). I also don't like that his defensive skill(shield wall or whatever) has such a long cooldown. Doesn't make a whole lot of sense imho. the 15% extra physical resistance and +% block chance don't even matter. The only good thing about it is the damage reduction...also it would be a lot better if it gave faster block rate instead of block chance.. I mean it's super easy to max block chance most of the time, and it wouldn't even matter if you didn't have fast enough block rate anyways.

Also, I think it's kind of ridiculous how the Assassin's defensive skills are better than the Warrior's...I mean, she gets damage reduction as well, but she can have it up 100% of the time. All she has to do is teleport out, stealth, teleport back in, bam. When the duration runs out, dragon kick, bam. rinse/repeat, easy. Whereas the Warrior has to wait 2 minutes for the same buff. I mean.. Charge is a LOT better than the dragon kick though(minus the fact she gets a defensive buff with it) because he can get out of a stun lock with it and it has no cooldown + you can shift+click the ground with it just to move around quick. Like.. you can't dragon kick to get out of stunlock, it has a pretty slow animation. You'd have to just walk out of it first.

Literally the only real reason to play a warrior though is because he doesn't have a damage penalty for wearing a shield...I mean, if the Warrior had better defensive skills than the assassin(which he doesn't really), then she wouldn't need a damage penalty for wearing a shield. I think it's stupid how she gets one...I mean, it would be less stupid if there were actually base off-hand weapons that dropped at lower levels... The fact that there are only 2 off-hand weapons in the entire game and they're both level 50 makes the assassin's damage penalty for wearing shields kind of...idk...unforgiving. Like, you expect people to just play the assassin at lvl 50+ only? What are you supposed to do until then? Download someone else's save file?

Why not add a set of off-hand base weapons for the assassin and barbarian? I mean.. or you could make the Warrior's defensive skills better and remove the dmg penalty for assassins who wear shields. Either or.

The main reason I wouldn't want to play a Barb though is because it doesn't look like he has any movement skills...I imagine he has even slower of a cast time than warrior for teleport.