"Lethargy" and "Exhausted"

Diablo 1 HD, codename Belzebub - General forum.
m1rado

"Lethargy" and "Exhausted"

Post by m1rado »

I've looked around at the documentation https://mod.diablo.noktis.pl/doc/ and in the forums here, but I have yet to find out exactly what effects Rage's "Lethargy" and Insanity's "Severe Exhaustion" have.

I've worked out that Insanity increases attack speed and damage and that Exhaustion seems to reduce attack speed, but are there any other effects?

Rage only increases your stats by some amount (though these changes don't seem to be shown on your char sheet edit: seems like the changes ARE shown, but only when you have spent all your available stat points), and I did notice that To Hit, Critical Hit and Critical Damage are lowered during Lethargy, but it doesn't seem that they're lowered by very much. I'm guessing that maybe Lethargy reduces your total stats for a period? Does anyone know by how much?

Thank you!
Fastynator

Re: "Lethargy" and "Exhausted"

Post by Fastynator »

I don't know if I have covered everything these two skills have to offer, but I post here everything I have observed.

I start with 'Rage', since this one is easier to explain. 'Rage' simply increases your stat Points (STR, DEX, and VIT) by the amount displayed on the skill description (press 'F' to open the character class specific skills and move your cursor to the 'Rage' skill). Therefore, all changes applied to your character (Damage, Crit damage, To Hit, Crit Chance, and max HP) are affected by the skill increase. The Lethargy phase then decreases STR, DEX, and VIT by the half of the numbers displayed and therefore all properties linked to these three stats are lowered as well.

Example: My lvl 33 Barbarian has a 'Rage' skill with +99 STR, +49 DEX, and +66 VIT. My current character has 148 STR, 129 DEX, and 82 VIT. 'Rage' will increase the STR to 148+99= 247, DEX to 129+49=178 , and VIT to 82+66=148. Then the Lethargy phase comes and decreases STR to 148-49.5=98.5 (rounded up to 99) , DEX to 129-29.5=104.5 (rounded up to 105)* , and VIT to 82-33= 49.
If you want to calculate the exact effects on the other stats, you would need to use the documentation, look up the effects of stat point changes for the characters, and use these formulas for calculation.

(*It was interesting to observe that the stat numbers are actually rounded up. Ususally, I observed that the game always rounds down the other stats.)

Two fun facts about 'Rage' are that 1) Your actual HP increases with the same proportion as the total HP, but your actual HP is unchanged when entering the Lethargy Phase or when it is over. In summary, this means that if your actual HP was above the total HP in Lethargy Phase, your actual HP will drop to that anount. If the actual HP was below the that value, you can heal yourself a little with that skill. 2) You can exploit this skill to put on gear you lack STR and DEX requirements for. When going back to the normal stats, the game does not take away the gear piece. However, certain events like a Level Up can, so you must be careful if using this exploit. 'Rage' can also help to reach the required VIT number to read he next 'Insanity' book.

Now to 'Insanity'. It has the same technical concept with increase and decrease phase, but with totally different attributes affected. The visible changes on the char sheet are the Physical Damage, To Hit, Attack Speed, Attack Time, Hit Recovery, Walk Speed, Cast Speed, and Cast Time (Everytime I use it, I also had the feeling that it increases Elemental Resistence, but These changes are not shown on the sheet, so I don't know).
Exhaustion respectively decreases these stats except for Physical Damage and To Hit. It additionally decreases Elemental Resistence by an insane amount (for example, my Cold Resistence falls from -9% to -109%) and drains you HP (technically a negative Life Regeneration number).
The interesting question would be if higher 'Insanity' levels affects the stats more or only Duration and Cooldown. For my Lvl Barbarian with Lvl 12 Insanity, Attack Speed, Recovery Speed and Walk Speed are increased from 100% to 137% and decreased to 63%.