Physical Resistance reduced

Diablo 1 HD, codename Belzebub - General forum.
HarvesterRage

Physical Resistance reduced

Post by HarvesterRage »

Hello , does physical resistance being reduced every time you die or when something else happens?
I'm asking because i lose physical resistance points and i dont know the reason for this.

Thanks.
SkyrosX2

Re: Physical Resistance reduced

Post by SkyrosX2 »

Hi, HarvesterRage! And welcome to the forums!!! =) Always nice to see new blood.

In the beginning of the game, physical resistance is reduced in the first character levels (varies from character to character). Please refer to the Documentation for detailed information (on the Characters tabs):

https://mod.diablo.noktis.pl/doc/
HarvesterRage

Post by HarvesterRage »

My charachter(warrior) is level 36 and still loses physical resistance. :?:
So is there a pattern for the higher levels also?

Thanks for the info !!
SkyrosX2

Post by SkyrosX2 »

That's strange. There is no pattern for higher levels. I have a level 51 warrior, and this doesn't happen to me.
Take a couple screen shots and post here showing it getting lower, maybe we can figure out whats going on.
HarvesterRage

Post by HarvesterRage »

Hey i got the screenshots! how can i upload them??
SkyrosX2

Post by SkyrosX2 »

Upload to some Image website (imgur, for example. There are dozens of them) and post the links here.
HarvesterRage

Post by HarvesterRage »

https://imgur.com/LuHgEKb
https://imgur.com/3PMExOw

So this happened when i got from 37 level to 38.
This also happened when i got from 36 to 37. (it went from 51% to 49%)
SkyrosX2

Post by SkyrosX2 »

I honestly don't know what to tell you.
I checked my Warrior, he is level 50 and, with the current gear, has 40% physical resistance. I did not check the changes after each level... but I am higher level than you and probably have better gear than you, and still have physical resistance lower than you. So I probably also lost physical resistance while leveling up.
But I have no idea why this happens.
HarvesterRage

Post by HarvesterRage »

Yeah, thats strange. Also i tried to change my armor (which changed my physical res) before i level up just to check and my physical did not drop BUT when i put back my old one (the one on the screenshots) the physical droped again by one percent. Just like,everytime i level up,this particular armor loses its physical res. that gives you :o :o :?:

And another quick question does armor class affects physical resistance? Becasuse my new armor has 80 points of armor class more than my old one BUT it drops my physical resistance from 48% (now 47% :P ) to 40% .
SkyrosX2

Post by SkyrosX2 »

LOL, this armor changes lowering the physical resistance with the better armor makes no sense!
I'm sorry, I'm as puzzled as you.
Fastynator

Post by Fastynator »

Armor class does increase physical resistance (and dexterity does indirectly, since it increases armor class, too). It might not be the only factor though. But a difference of 7/8% sounds extreme. Is it possible to post the armor class and magical attributes of both armors (and provide the name if an armor is a set or unique item) so we can take a look at it ?
HarvesterRage

Post by HarvesterRage »

Yes there are both unique armors.
The one is the Rattlcage-Plate mail with 159 A.C. and the other is the Batlemaster's Coat- Wyrmhide armor with 231 A.C.(which also ads 1x(clvl) to dexterity) but yet it lowers my physical resistance by 17% (i double checked that now)
My warrior is level 41.
(The full magic atributes of those can be found on the Belzebub Mod Site).
Fastynator

Post by Fastynator »

I did various tests and I thought I had an answer, but another test has proven me wrong later on. I will post what I have tried, so maybe someone else has another idea after reading this.

- Everything speaks for the 'Battlemaster's Coat' (Increased Armor and Dexterity). My first thought was that the only aspect where the 'Rattlecage' is superior in is that it's a plate type, while the 'Battlemaster's Coat' is only light armor. But tests with different body armor types (light, mail, plate) with similar Armor Class have shown that it has nothing to do with it.

- What I observed though is that the physical resistance increases by 1% for about every 3 additional Armor Class points (for my Warrior; for my Assassin it was 5 points for Armor Class). What I saw is that the Armor Class for the 'Battlemaster's Coat' is preset to 100 and then post-increased by a relative number (120%-150%). So my idea was that the game might only consider the preset 100 Armor Class for the calculation of the physical resistance.
-> So when you change from 'Rattlecage' to 'Battlemaster's Coat', you decrease the Armor Class from 159 to 100 -> 59/3 = 19,67% = 19% (the game always rounds down). We have a reduction of physical resistance by 19%. And now the Dexterity comes into play. With a Level 41 Warrior, you have +41 to DEX. You get 1 Armor Class point for every 5 points into DEX, which results in 41/5 = 8,2 = 8 -> 8/3 = 2,67% = 2%.
The physical resistance is increased by 2%, and the penalty of 19% is reduced to 17%. Exactly the penalty you were reporting.

The calculation was so precise that I thought I had a theory. But later on I tested with my Assassin and changed my Armor with 45 Armor Class for an 'Iceblink' with 53 Armor Class (30 preset and post-increase by 78%) and my resistance increased normally from 12% to 13%. It' like your 'Battlemaster's Coat' would have only 100 Armor Class although it says to have 231. I would not exclude that it might a bug since I once read someone reporting that additional magic damage from a set piece was not applied to the character.

All in all, I unfortunately haven't found an answer to this issue.
Fastynator

Post by Fastynator »

A little update on the physical resistance reduction issue that might partially answer the question:

I did some further testing with Lvl 1 characters. All characters already have an increase of physical resistance with each new point into Armor Class. For Warrior and Barbarian, it's an increase by 6,5%, for Rogue and Assassin 5%, for Necromancer 4%, and for Sorcerer 3,33%. All max out at 40% at level 1. I got to lvl 2 and 3 with the Rogue and there was not anymore an increase by 5%, but an increase by (I think) 2,5% at lvl 2 and 1,67% at lvl 3. I derive from this that the character level has a negative impact on the effect of Armor Class on physical resistance, and therefore you have a lower physical resistance with same Armor Class at a higher level. I think this is where the reduction of physical resistance comes from.

However, I was not able to derive an exact formula so far, so how the Armor Class factor is determined and how character level has an impact on it. I also don't what value is taken as base for the calculation, because when you do the same calculation by decreasing the Armor Class to 0, the physical resistance would not be 0%, but somewhere above or even below 0%. I don't have cursed items that could reduce the Dexterity to 0 in order to see what would actually happen to the physical resistance.
HarvesterRage

Post by HarvesterRage »

Very nice theories, i believe that there is a bug though, because what's the point for further armor increase when the game only calculates the preset stat?
Also the fact, that maybe the leveling up has decreasing impact on physical resistance ''sucks'' in my opinion, or maybe this is also a bug?

Anyway the game still plays and despite the difficulties i managed to progress to Hell difficulty and maybe reach Torment someday. And this is my first run through this MOD haha.
Thanks guys for the answers! i will keep an eye if someone comes up with more knowledge about this topic.