Help understanding the base stats/points distribution

Diablo 1 HD, codename Belzebub - General forum.
SkyrosX2

Help understanding the base stats/points distribution

Post by SkyrosX2 »

Hi, everyone!

In the documentation (available in the two links at the bottom) the information about the Warrior base stats says that:

Per point in Strength: +0.18 Physical Damage +0.5% Critical Hit Damage (min 37 points)
Per point in Dexterity: +0.18 Physical Damage +0.125% Critical Hit Chance (min 37 points) +0.5% To Hit (Weapon) +0.2 Armor Class
Per point in Vitality: +2 Life
Per point in Magic: +1 Mana +0.5% To Hit (Spell)

My question is: what does it mean by "min 37 points"?
Does it mean that with 36 points or less, the character does not get the bonus, and then when it gets to 37 points it all of the sudden gets 37*0.5%=18.5% critical hit damage (in the case of strenght) and 37*0.125%=4.625% critical hit chance (in the case of Dextery)?

If not, what does it mean?
Also, are these 37 points the character's own points (without gear, the white ones in the left column) or the amount of points including bonus from gear (the blue ones in the right column)?
The reason I ask is quite important: I'm playing a Warrior and I have ALL my points in Strenght, which will leave me with less than 37 points in Dextery (not considering gear) in the late game. So, if it is necessary to have 37 white points to get this bonus, then I should put some points in dextery. But if the bonus comes just fine from the blue points, then I don't need to put any points in dextery.

Documentation links:

https://mod.diablo.noktis.pl/doc/

http://awake.diablo1.eu.org/diablo-1-hd ... umentation
Last edited by SkyrosX2 on 09 Feb, 2020 19:32, edited 1 time in total.
SkyrosX2

Post by SkyrosX2 »

Another quick question: in the information about Rogue, it says:

Per point in Strength: +0.35 Physical Damage +0.5% Critical Hit Damage (min 37 points)
Per point in Dexterity: +0.5% To Hit (Weapon) +0.125% Critical Hit Chance (min 57 points) +0.2 Armor Class
Per point in Vitality: +1 Life (hardpoints) +1.5 Life (softpoints)
Per point in Magic: +1 Mana (hardpoints) +1.5 Mana (softpoints) +0.5% To Hit (Spell)

What are "hardpoints" and "softpoints"? These names are also used in the information about the Barbarian, Necromancer and Assassin.
Are "hardpoints" the white ones in the left column (points without any gear) and "softpoins" the blue ones in the right column (considering bonuses from gear)?
Fastynator

Re: Help understanding the base stats/points distribution

Post by Fastynator »

(I answered this one before but apparently I posted shortly before the new design arrived. So this time, I will only repost a short answer)

I have been running tests with my Necromancer and Sorcerer. These two characters have a min 'Critical Damage' of 5%. The min point mark is the first value where your critical damage and critical hit chance get your first increase by 1%. From there on, the simple calculation is that you get a further increase by 1% after every two points in STR (0,5% * 2 = 1%) and 8 points in DEX (0,125% * 8 = 1%).

Hardpoints are the ones on the left side of the character stats. And the documentation indicates the increase of HP/mana when you put points gained by a Level Up in there. Softpoints are the ones on thr right side and show the benefits (or penalties) gained from gear. The increase/decrease of HP and mana are different for the Rogue, Assassin, and Necromancer if you increase/decrease your points with gear.

The hardpoints do NOT need to reach the min point mark. (Btw. : I am almost certain that the 37 min points for critical hit chance for the warrior is just a typo since every other class needs 57 points)