Warrior stats allocation in this mod?

Diablo 1 HD, codename Belzebub - General forum.
billybumpkis69

Warrior stats allocation in this mod?

Post by billybumpkis69 »

Hey guys! I was wondering how to allocate my stats in this mod for a warrior. Is it 2str and 1 point in each other stat? Thanks for the help/advice.
Wendigo

Post by Wendigo »

The classic line of play for any character is to put all of their level stat boosts into that class's main attribute (STR for Warrior) and then grind for gear to boost whatever else you need. This is because their class abilities become the most powerful effects in the later game and you want to buff that as much as possible. If that sounds like too much grinding for your tastes, however, the hard and fast rules are that a Warrior should never put points into VIT or MAG; the extra HP and MP you gain will never be worthwhile compared to making him hit harder and more accurately. Be aware that you get to alter your stats on the fly once you hit level 60, so if you're curious about where you could have gone with a different point distribution there's your chance to play around with it.

Although personally I think players, and especially newer ones, highly over-stress the importance of level stats. As the game progresses you'll find equipment that will make your level stat gains paltry by comparison, so if you think it'll be more fun to put a few points into MAG or VIT or even just all-in DEX that freedom is way more important than any incremental disadvantage it'll give you. Your game will not break because you misclicked a few points into an inopportune stat.

Welcome to the forums!
Butcher's Brains Collected: 10
Izual's Brains Collected: 1
Smith's Brains Collected: 2
Andariel's Brains Collected: 1
Fastynator

Post by Fastynator »

To refer to the second question, I had a bad experience with the 2 point STR; 1 point to each other stat already in the original Diablo 1. Putting all 5 points into the stat you believe you need most is the better approach since it both helps to ignore what you don't need at the moment and to make the effect of what you need a bit more short term.

Now to the first question of stat allocation. This is something that interests me as well since I only have five of six classes in Nightmare difficulty and yet don't know what will await in late game. I was hoping for more replys from veterans to this topic. I post what I read in previous threads about the same or similar topic
According to what I read in this forum, many forum posts swear on the STR ONLY approach. The reason is already described in the reply above. However, I suppose the STR ONLY approach requires that you already farmed overpowered rare, set, and crafted items, which covers every stat, from Hell or Torment difficulty with the Sorcerer (the most gear independent character), so you can start your journey with an overpowered character whos only mission is to buff the class specific skills.

Another post stated to keep the DEX value high. I believe this to be more appropriate for novice warriors since the 'To Hit' rate is quite poor at the start, even in dungeon level 1, and things can get frustrating when you cannot hit targets properly later, especially since bosses and some enemy types hardly miss even with a high 'armor class'. Also, some melee weapons require a good amount of DEX points. Gear that grant high boosts for both DEX (+15 or more) and defense (high HP and max resistances are obligatory to survive in late Normal and Nightmare) do not appear until late Normal and are still very rare in Nightmare, so I would not count on gear boosts too early into the game.

So all in all, my idea for starter Warriors would go as follows: At the beginning, many DEX points at the start to boost the 'To Hit' in order to land almost every hit against enemies. Not sure about the ideal place to stop, but lets say 60 (the DEX cap from the original Diablo). If you find melee weapons, rings or amulets that can boost the 'To Hit' early on, take them for early game. After reaching 60 DEX, accurate hitting should not be an issue for the rest of normal difficulty, and with this base, minor boosts from gear and the class specific skills will be beneficial.

Once you find a 'Book of Dark Pact', increase the MAG to 25 to use this book, so you can use the Dark Pact - Healing cycle, which allows to reduce the necessity of potions and therefore saves lots of gold and returns to town in the long run. 25 is most likely all MAG you will need as hardpoints.

The rest should go into STR from now on for both boosting the class specific skills and to have an easier access to high level gear. Not sure about the VIT, I only know from experience that about 400 HP (and max resistances) are needed to survive during the finale of Normal difficulty and about 600 HP in Nightmare. It depends on the luck with HP boosts from gear and how beneficial the an Elixir of VIT is. VIT points here and there would reduce the requirements from gear. Maybe about 40-50 hardpoints or even less.
billybumpkis69

Post by billybumpkis69 »

Hey guys thanks for the great feedback. Ill take all of it into account while I lvl my warrior. Thanks again and happy grinding!
Brork

Post by Brork »

I think Dexterity is even more important than STR for warriors. Both increase DMG but Dext increases armor too. Definitely worth investing into very heavily
SkyrosX2

Post by SkyrosX2 »

I have played this mod for years, and although I am not as good as some other members (like Wendigo, Ugily, DacianDraco) I believe I have died enough times to be confident in a few matters of the game.

The comment above from @Fastynator is right on point, he got it right in each thing he affirmed. He is absolutely right on what he says about "for starter Warriors". Some Dex, maybe a bit of Mag, and zero for Vit is the way to go for starter warriors.
BUT, if you have other chars that can provide end-game gear for your warrior, the only thing you should invest in is Strength. All the Dex, Vit and Mag that you need will come from gear. Period. I find it extremely highly unlikely that you will find a senior player of this mod disagreeing with this. And, even if there is, it will probably just be a partial disagreement, and it will likely be something along the lines personal taste and "have fun, it
only depends on your playing style and personal preferences" and not something objective about the efficiency of stats distribution.

I played this mod like this: Started with a Sorcerer and easily got to Torment. Farmed a FREAKING LOT of LT with him.
Got all necessary gear for Rogue, and cleared the game with her.
Now I am currently playing a warrior, on level 46. ALL my stats went to Strength. Once I grind to level 50, I will have all necessary gear to beat the Diablo on Torment.
After this, I will play with Barbarian.
ivyfuler47

Re:

Post by ivyfuler47 »

Wendigo wrote: 30 Jul, 2019 4:10 The classic line of play for any character is to put all of their level stat boosts into that class's main attribute (STR for Warrior) and then grind for gear to boost whatever else you need. This is because their class abilities become the most powerful effects in the later game and you want to buff that as much as possible. If that sounds like too much grinding for your tastes, however, the hard and fast rules are that a Warrior should never put points into VIT or MAG; the extra HP and MP you gain will never be worthwhile compared to making him hit harder and more accurately. Become a master strategist and outmaneuver your opponents in this intense getaway shootout game. Be aware that you get to alter your stats on the fly once you hit level 60, so if you're curious about where you could have gone with a different point distribution there's your chance to play around with it.

Although personally I think players, and especially newer ones, highly over-stress the importance of level stats. As the game progresses you'll find equipment that will make your level stat gains paltry by comparison, so if you think it'll be more fun to put a few points into MAG or VIT or even just all-in DEX that freedom is way more important than any incremental disadvantage it'll give you. Your game will not break because you misclicked a few points into an inopportune stat.

Welcome to the forums!
Well, that's also an interesting opinion. For me, I agree that it'll be more fun to put a few points into MAG or VIT or even just all-in DEX that freedom is way more important than any incremental disadvantage it'll give you.