Silly Difficulty?

Diablo 1 HD, codename Belzebub - General forum.
Tom_O_Sevens

Silly Difficulty?

Post by Tom_O_Sevens »

So I'm on Normal and I started up an Assassin. I'm character level 15:

- 30 STR
- 30 MAG
- 45 DEX
- 25 VIT

I went to Leoric's Chamber expecting a normal bossfight only to get completely annihilated by Leoric. His hit chance is off the charts, he heals 25% health per swing and has a constant horde of skeletons around him. Not to mention he moves at about 250% the speed you do.

So am I supposed to come back after I've killed Diablo or something? Garbhad the Weak was pretty much the same thing; he finished crafting his item, I went back for it, and he proceeded to stomp me into the ground without any trouble whatsoever. I'm level 15 and I can't even beat minibosses on depth 3.

I thought this was a good mod, but clearly I must be confused? Maybe this isn't for me after all. I'd rather not have to go to depth 16 and reach character level 50 before being able to kill the first minibosses in the god-damn game.

Anybody have suggestions? Or should I just uninstall this and never look back?
Juggernought

Post by Juggernought »

Man, you play a hardcore mod for diablo1. And you use additional character, which not well-balanced. Before you find good green/golden weapons or armor, you must find recipes, find better gear. Farming/grinding/so on. You can complete game on normal /hard with paladin, rogue or mage, and you'll get many recipes and armors. You'll have some weapons with IGNORETARGETDEFENZE and some armor with CANNOTBEFROZEN.and this gear will help your asassin to survive.about Leoric- you can leave the levers untouched, and just teleport through the fence forth and back, you can use guardians and bow through the fence, you can lure him out
Fastynator

Post by Fastynator »

I assume that you started this mod not long ago and that the Assassin is your first character ?

So first of all, are you aware that the mod added character specific skills and that you will unlock a new one every 8 levels ? With Level 15, you now have a 'Stealth' skill for invisibility and a 'Maleficent Strike' skill for extra backstab damage (and Level 16 unlocks a thrid skill).

Also, the assassin has the second highest cast speed out of all characters, so I would suggest to rely on spells, which are overpowered compared to physical attacks on normal difficulty. Getting the 'Lightning' spell as high as possible early on is a good start for every character in general (except Barbarian) and makes life a lot easier.

Leoric is usually too strong to face right away. It's easier to return to him after completing the catacombs and using a higher level Lightning or Holy Bolt (I think spell level 3-5) should be enough.

Gharbad the Weak can be dangerous in melee range because of the 'Haste' modifier, but there are two methods to defeat him:
1. Get distance, activate Stealth, wait until he stands still, and then use the extra backstab damage of 'Maleficent Strike'. The extra backstab damage and the stealth breaking damage result in a very high damage Output that should take away about 20-30% of his HP. Repeat the process until he is defeated.
2. You use a bow (preferably a 'Hunter's bow', since it has the fastest attack speed of all bows) in combination with the stealth skill. The extra damage from breaking stalth works with bows as well. Keeping distance is not difficult because breaking stealth temporarily gives a walk speed bonus and Gharbad's AI rather walks around in circles than directly towards you.

Sub bosses are best defeated with either stealth and backstab or high level spells on normal difficulty.

From my expeience, the Assassin is a character that struggles with large amounts of enemies due to the lack of crowd control skills, but the stealth skill helps against tougher individual targets. My own assassin is currently stuck in the fight against Diablo on normal difficulty, so this is all I can tell at the moment.
joshuahinze

Not for beginners to build!

Post by joshuahinze »

The assassins can be a difficult character to build it is not for beginners but with luck I was able to find some really nice unique daggers and she is hands-down my most powerful DPS character at least that I’ve seen provided weapon has very fast attack speed. Put everything in dexterity and rely on equipment to boost the other stuff, I did put a little in magic as well just so I could cast a bunch of spells. Also as stated above use a bow as a secondary I have a really nice hunters bow to thin the herd before they get to you and also find a good spell to use he suggested lightning I prefer firewall whatever works for you then use your unique strike there should only be a handful left. I had no problem with King Leoric I do about 90 damage per second and knockback chance, I think he only hit me a half dozen times tops at level 14. Just keep working on it read up a little bit if you have to start a new character it sucks but it’s better than playing one that will piss you off ( if you do put all of your gold and good equipment in the trade stash for the next character) if you have to play one for a bit feel them out restart them build them better!

Good luck and happy gaming.
SkyrosX2

Post by SkyrosX2 »

The best tip I can give is: abandon Assassin.
Play Sorcerer until Hell difficulty.
Then, use your Sorcerer to farm good stuff for a Rogue.
Then use this Rogue to beat the game in Torment.
Then, use Rogue to farm ANYTHING to any other char you want to play.

With this strategy, you can beat the game with all chars (by having the support of the first Sorcerer and Rogue in the way I mentioned).
There are videos on youtube showing all chars beating the game.
Honestly, I did not have the guts to beat the game with assassin, even though I had all the gear necessary. She is just TOO WEAK in this mod, it's unbearable.
Soundboy

Post by Soundboy »

Assassin stinks, it's probably the single worst character to start blind - and even if you're geared and at Torment literally all you do is Golem a boss then walk behind it to spam backstabs.

I think belzebub is very fair in its difficulty but melee classes are way harder to beat the game with for obvious reasons. TBH if it were possible it would've been cool to give every melee class a 30% damage reduction to damage because even a GG geared war/barb can get one shot in hell domain