Dealing with Hell Difficulty Modifiers

Diablo 1 HD, codename Belzebub - General forum.
Fuzedknight

Dealing with Hell Difficulty Modifiers

Post by Fuzedknight »

Hi there, I was just wondering how in the world do you deal with the two modifiers in Hell difficulty. Haste and Behemoth.
I am currently playing a Rogue, level 40 but I am starting to really struggle with these two modifiers. I noticed that they seem to have much greater effect on Hell difficulty (far faster or way tankier).
So I was just wondering, how do you guys deal with these two types of mobs?

For Haste I've had some success with Teleport, spin Guided Arrow x5 then teleport away again, but at times they have been mobs with charge, they charge so fast you can't even react and once they get to me there is no escaping the stunlock. The Golem dies instantly and I don't know if it's a problem of AC or what to give me a single respite to teleport out of their swings.

As for Behemoth mobs they are so tanky I feel like I'm doing something wrong. I can spend a solid 5-8 minutes barraging them before they die. I imagine this is probably just a weapon problem but is there anything special I'd need like heavy elemental damage or is it just get a stronger weapon. I've tried Bone Spirit but almost everything is Immune to it by the Caves.

Here is my current setup and I'm unsure where I'd get replacements, most of it has been lucky gambles or drops as I've played. Don't really know any farm spots. I feel like I need to drop the Chest piece for a Dps one but then I get absolutely shredded by Archer monsters.
https://puu.sh/DC5g0/cb909e76eb.mp4
Wendigo

Post by Wendigo »

Your build is pretty tanky. I'm going to make this sound bad, but AC becomes less important for a Rogue as she advances.. of course it's still always good and always important but you'll probably have an easier time pulling out of stun lock with some amount of Hit Recovery or even just more MAG to pump your Lumpy. I can't really give you a magic number but as you find equipment with it, you can try it out.
I think your biggest problem is probably your weapon, as you deduced; +Crit Damage and (if you can find it) Ignore Target Defense are the most important things to have on a rogue's bow to help you optimize each hit against high-HP foes.
If you're looking to grind out items you have some options:
1) Equip as much Magic Find % as you can and start scaling back in dungeon levels until you can comfortably survive.
2) Find the deepest special area you have access to and troll that for a while in nice repetitive runs. You're basically just looking for something with a set layout so you can get used to the rhythm of it and do those over and over. Horazon's Sanctum isn't ideal because it's so long but the Chamber of Bone has a pretty good amount of chests.
3) Optimally, and what I would personally suggest, if you push on until you've set one foot in the Hell levels and then go do Lost Treasure runs. Just run/teleport from monsters until you've found the staircase if you have to. There you can just teleport from spot to spot, avoiding the worms, until you get the three chests at the end where there's a good chance of quality items.

You're not alone, almost all rogues struggle with the zone you're in; it's just a little too late for all their previous tricks to work but not deep enough to have a chance to find a Heartseeker. If you're really struggling you can always just skip them (as above) or quit out of the game and reset the variance and hope you don't hit more haste/behemoth creatures on your next playthrough.
Butcher's Brains Collected: 10
Izual's Brains Collected: 1
Smith's Brains Collected: 2
Andariel's Brains Collected: 1
Fuzedknight

Post by Fuzedknight »

Interesting, currently I have reached Floor 13 (1st floor of Hell) and that's where my problem started with the Haste charging Death Knights which just connect in half a second and turbo swing me down. I was going with a 61 Armor chest piece that had a bunch of damage on it, but the Goat Archers were hitting for 60 and every shot was a hit so I would just melt to them. But yes when I was originally doing Horazon's Sanctum I had to reset due to the Demon before the Summoner having Haste and Cold Enchanted which made his Flame Nova turbo slow and hit for 60% of my HP.
Just making sure but I assume the Lost Treasure chests are affected by Magic Find? I have a set I could try that with. I also feel like I really goofed putting so many points in Vit, would it also be worth resetting to fix the stats? I imagine it'd be quite easy with the gear I have on me.
One last thing, would doing say Nightmare Diablo runs on high /players be worth it? I've always found that his Sanctum gave far better drops in normal than floors 1-10 in Nightmare.

Thanks much for the help!
Wendigo

Post by Wendigo »

I.... think treasure chests are affected by MF% but not $Player X, but I can't seem to dig that up right now so I could be completely wrong (or even backwards). Hopefully someone else clears that up, I've been wrong before.

Personally I've never thought that it was worth it to restart a character for a few misplaced points; you get so much more from your gear anyway that it's not going to make much of a difference where a level's worth goes here and there. But if you absolutely cannot stand looking at that point spread then sure, the whole point is to have fun and if that's the dealbreaker then so be it.

It's hard to say since we don't really have the hard data on just what the $Player X option changes, but I'm pretty sure there are certain affixes that just aren't going to drop in Nightmare even on the highest difficulty setting... and those affixes just so happen to be the better +Crit's and other extremely useful ones for Rogue. The other thing that strikes me is while you are mainly farming for equipment you want to be in a place where you're still getting steady XP, so you could give Terror's Domain a few tries and see how it all stacks up. I'm kind of guessing you're not going to be gaining much ground in the XP even if the loot is comparable, but I'm not sure. If you do be sure to report back, it's always nice to add to our base of tested information.
Butcher's Brains Collected: 10
Izual's Brains Collected: 1
Smith's Brains Collected: 2
Andariel's Brains Collected: 1
Fuzedknight

Post by Fuzedknight »

I hadn't misplaced a few points, I kinda went 20 levels doing 2 dex 2 vit 1 str. It feels like it's really hurting my DPS. I had no idea how crap 1 HP per point was until I found a random yellow item with +83 health. :shock: I kinda jumped into the mod totally blind but I'm quickly realizing it's quite difficult and needs more thought put in.

Was playing around a bit, on players 5 Floor 16 monsters on Nightmare gave the same amount of XP of players 1 Floor 13 on Hell at around 7.8k XP per kill. However a boss mob charged me and just 1 hit killed me at 485 HP. I don't know how good the drops are but if there's specific modifiers that only show up in Hell+ I don't really see a point in doing this. Gonna try out the chests.
SkyrosX2

Post by SkyrosX2 »

This is correct, chests are affected by MF% and are NOT affected by $Player X.

I found three HS (HeartSeeker) in LT (Lost Cave) chests in Torment difficulty with MF around 250%. I wouldn't know an exact number of runs, but if I was to guess, I would say it took me an average of around 300 runs to find each HS. Which is not bad at all, 300 runs can be done in like 6-7 hours.