Speedrunning

Diablo 1 HD, codename Belzebub - General forum.
Raz0r

Speedrunning

Post by Raz0r »

I thought about speedrunning Belzebub and I am quite exited to test it out. So far I guess that the wizzard will reach the best time because of the chain lithning, which totally destroys most enemies in normal difficulty without issues. I am just not sure about any rules like for instance skipping quest or something. Maybe you guys have an idea of making rules for speedrunning. But please don't present me ironman rules :)
< Experienced Tchernobog player >
Wendigo

Post by Wendigo »

I've been a big fan of speedruns for a while and haven't found anything about an SR of this game, so it seems like you'd get to make your own rules. Personally I'd think a straight any% and your only stated goal is "kill dibs no shared stash" you'd be doing something truly amazing anyway.

I did try cataloguing some of the more interesting glitches I came across at one point. None of them were very noteworthy in a regular run since being underleveled is really, really bad, but I'll see if I can dig them up again for you. I had heard at one point especially there's supposed to be a reproduceable glitch to activate all the way-points from level 2, but I'm not even sure that one wasn't just an internet old wives' tale, so I'll see if I can dig that up for you too. Seems like it would be quite the dealbreaker here.
Butcher's Brains Collected: 10
Izual's Brains Collected: 1
Smith's Brains Collected: 2
Andariel's Brains Collected: 1
Miacis

Post by Miacis »

The so-called "ironman" is a result of bad balance of the game and is pretty much impossible in Diablo HD mod, which is of course a good thing. Please don't try doing ironman in this mod.

The general idea of speedrunning is to kill end game boss ASAP, skipping as much content as you need, and I wouldn't see any rules that could make it harder or something. You could try doing a speedrun as characters other than sorceror, but making your life harder on purpose isn't speedrunning. I'd rather call that Challenges!

For example, beat the game using only one type of spells (ok and default attack too), such is lightning/fire/cold(lul good luck with that one)/magic/physical. Or, for attack classes, beat the game using weapons that are not usually associated your class (bows for barbarian, swords for rogue, two handers for assassin (this one actually might be legit xD) etc).

You can also speedrun for a specific level, but I'm not sure which one would be not very bothersome.
Diablo HD is the best mod ever. Still waiting for Tchernobug fixes...
Raz0r

Post by Raz0r »

Yeah thanks for your advices. I am really interested in doing only legit speedruns, because a glitched one would be less challenging for me than a legit run. I mean if you say that you can manipulte the waypoints and go directly to 16, it would be kinda pointless.

And yes, i like the idea with using opposite weapons for classes. I would try out then wizzard with bow. That could be a great fun I guess. Futhermore, inspired through your advices, I would suggest the rules for me: killing diablo ASAP; No gamebreaking glitches allowed; Quest can be skipped if wanted (I would make however still some, although I lose maybe a bit time, because for example the Arkaine's Valor could be a great help for surviving); Staying in one game with the same class and no stash with prepared items allowed

I go ahead and make some speedruns then and maybe i film also some and put them on YT. I did not see any Speedrun of Belzebub so far, so I would make the WR anyways with bad time :P

BTW I would also suggest that the time start firstly, when you entered the dungeon and not in town, because I always need to turn on increased town walk when I create a new char and that would be a loss of time...
SkyrosX2

Post by SkyrosX2 »

Post the link to your Youtube channel, I would like to watch these videos!!! =D
Raz0r

Post by Raz0r »

I played today a bit and was training for speedrun and I found out that the wizzard is totally destroying enemies with his charged bolts in early game. It is very strong so that I can rush through the first levels with ez. So I guess that I will train a bit the wizzard some more and then in the coming future I will upload my best %Any Speedrun.
danielson

Post by danielson »

Though it's not about Diablo 1 and its mods but my favourite Diablo 2 LoD speedrunner is MrLlamaSC (especially his men vs player videos XD).
Raz0r

Post by Raz0r »

Yes I know this dude. He is really great and well know in the D2 community
Ruinz

Post by Ruinz »

Good luck!! let me know once you have some video's up. I might be interested in challenging your WR. I would also record on OBS.

Enjoy!