can't get game to play properly

Diablo 1 HD, codename Belzebub - General forum.
Scythe

can't get game to play properly

Post by Scythe »

Just installed,
game starts up, extremely laggy video.
Basically nothing works eccept the sound.
the sound responds as if there is no lag when I click things, but the video wont change unless I click off the window, wait a few seconds, then click back on the window.. it loads up to the part I am up to

I'm running on a brand new high powered windows 10 laptop.

Hoping someone can possibly help. I tried compatibility for xp and admin ;/
SkyrosX2

Post by SkyrosX2 »

I have never had nor heard of such an issue. Very strange.

Have you ever played the game before? If yes, was it on this laptop or another computer?

Welcome to the forum, btw! =)
Scythe

Post by Scythe »

thanks,
I have never played before.
I took out my old laptop and it works perfectly fine on here.
I didn't do anything different.

I am giving this laptop to my friend soon and won't be able to use it, I would really like to be able to play on my computer.
SkyrosX2

Post by SkyrosX2 »

Well, if you got it to work just as normal in another computer, then I'm afraid I'm puzzled...

Is your old laptop also Windows 10?
If not, then I think we need to wait for someone running it on Windows 10 to reply here on this thread. (I'm running on Windows 7)
If yes, then the only thing I can think of is for you to just try each possible Compatibility mode, and also combine it with "Admin" and other programme execution options.

Waitting for your next reply. Good luck!
hldemi

Post by hldemi »

Im running it on windows 10 with no problems with 6700k and gtx 1070. Maybe run it with compatibility mode enabled. Also try to update graphic drivers and direct x and those c++ and visual dunno what else. Since its a new laptop its probably lacking something that older games require. Install whole bunch of those driver software types.
Wendigo

Post by Wendigo »

Well, I can't believe nobody's mentioned this yet, but have you tried running it in compatibility mode yet? :p

Seriously, though, in brand-spankin' new computer it's probably a missing driver like hldemi said, but if you are still having a problem after installing all of those it's probably a default program messing with you. First off go to your Power settings and make sure it's at 100% "while plugged in." Companies love cranking that down to make their power ratings look better. Then, since Windows 10 is supposed to 'learn your patterns,' just open the game about 8-10 times and see if that's given it enough priority to fix the problem. If it's still there, open Task Manager and watch the Processes tab for any spikes while you're opening the game (anything that jumps to the top of the chain), then tinker with those offending programs. If it's STILL there go play a Tower Defense game and see if that lags too. If it doesn't, do a full unintall/reinstall on the game (but make a backup of your Data/player_save folder first).
If none of those work we'll move onto voodoo. You'll need a live chicken and some pufferfish extract.
Butcher's Brains Collected: 10
Izual's Brains Collected: 1
Smith's Brains Collected: 2
Andariel's Brains Collected: 1
Scythe

Post by Scythe »

I've tried it on every compatability mode possible;
always run as admin;
i'm running on a nvidia 1070; all drivers are up to date
I installed a fresh version of windows when I got this computer and downloaded all necessary software.
I play all other games perfectly fine, ranging from diablo 2, path of exile, to the new call of duty on max settings completely fine

:/
Wendigo

Post by Wendigo »

Alrighty. Try not to get frustrated, we're closing in.
Use the link below and follow the steps to disable all the extra programs NVidia runs in the background, this is a known culprit for jagging, especially on openGL. (The link is safe.) Disable all that apply; if you wish to stream or capture in the future you can turn them back on.

https://www.ghacks.net/2015/12/27/disab ... rformance/
hldemi

Post by hldemi »

Have you tried compatibility mode for Windows 98 second edition ? Also disable antivirus and firewall, set language to mandarin and uninstall VLC player. Also try to disable audio card.
Scythe

Post by Scythe »

I've done everything listed other than disable my audio card.
Still not working
Wendigo

Post by Wendigo »

I have managed to recreate your problem; the solution came with disabling Windows Defender for the length of the session. Hope that helps.

Also, just to make sure here and sorry if it sounds pedantic, but when you close out of the game after the end of a session are you running in Full Screen mode or Windowed mode? I got a lot more visual errors when playing in Windows mode; so try playing in the other mode for a while and see if that clears it up?

Sorry for the length of time in between my replies.
Scythe

Post by Scythe »

I really apreciate everyone trying to help.
Unfortunately I am still not getting any changes in my error.

Windows defender has been disabled from the beginning.
I also tried disabling my current antivirus (avira),
I have been running it full screen the whole time, not even sure how to get it in window mode