Windows 10 Diablo 1

Diablo 1 Hellfire Forum
Naabaanit

Windows 10 Diablo 1

Post by Naabaanit »

I have been searching for (and trying) so many ways to try and get Diablo 1 working on my Windows 10 computer and without success. The farthest I have ever got with the game is the main menu, but as soon as I tried to start playing after making a character, the game just becomes completely unresponsive and essentially gets stuck on my screen for extended periods of time (15min+). I am hoping someone on the forum can assist me with this issue.
Noktis
Site Admin

Post by Noktis »

Here is solution from lurkerlounge.com forum
Windows 10
Install Diablo to a non protected folder (such as C:\Diablo). I ran the installation process as administrator, but I'm not sure if it's required, I just did it for good measure.
Right click the Diablo executable in C:\Diablo (or wherever you installed it). select the compatibility tab, and check "Run in 640 x 480 screen resolution" and "Run the program as an administrator".
Install Patch 1.09 (I've not tested other patches yet) either via auto-patching the game through battlenet, or by downloading and installing the patch manually. For good measure, I manual patched the game, and I ran the patch as administrator as well.
Run the game, but don't hit a key as soon as the Blizzard logo comes up, or you'll cause the game to crash. Also, don't use your mouse to cancel the logo or you'll cause the game to crash.
(optional, but fixes any unforeseen multi-core crashes)Open up notepad, and type the following batch code into the editor:

start /affinity 1 Diablo.exe

(OR, if you are running a mod, or hellfire)

start /affinity 1 (name-of-modded-executable.exe)

Save the file to your C:\Diablo directory(or wherever you installed it), and if you want to, make a shortcut to it on your desktop.

You should now be able to run the vanilla game. Sometimes, you may have to start the game multiple times for it to run, sometimes the menu may be a bit flickery at first. For multiplayer, see the net compatibility section.
Naabaanit

Post by Naabaanit »

I am unsure of how to do the part with the notepad as I don't know what editor the step is referring to. I have done every other step, however. Are you able to decipher this step?
Noktis
Site Admin

Post by Noktis »

Probably you need to save the file as *.bat instead *.txt. You can also check this https://sites.google.com/site/awakemod/ddwrapper.rar or other ddraw.dll wrapper.
Naabaanit

Post by Naabaanit »

Problem solved! Thank you for replying and such and hope i see you around the forum!