Linux Binarys

Diablo 1 HD, codename Belzebub - General forum.
Inotamira_Orani

Linux Binarys

Post by Inotamira_Orani »

Would it be very hard to compile the Belzebub project into a linux compatible binary? From what I can tell, all the librarys exist or have equivalents in Linux and this "mod" doesn't play well in wine. It would be nice if us Linux users could get this.
BrightLord

Post by BrightLord »

Hello.

That's alot of work but not hard to do.
Wojtek25

Post by Wojtek25 »

I cannot find the post right now , but change wine version to older. Someone had same problem ^^ , or use other "windows" simulator. (sorry for english ;d )
Inotamira_Orani

BrightLord wrote:Hello.

That's alot of work but not hard to do.
Simply becuase I've had to compile things before in linux, how would it be difficult? If I'm not mistaken it's programmed in a language linux already understands, the library's it uses already exist in Linux and nothing would have to really be altered to use them from what I know....wouldn't it basically just be taking the source and asking Linux to compile them with the appropriate/same librarys?
BrightLord

Post by BrightLord »

It's about making a portable cmake file or something this way. All libraries used are portable for mac osx and most linux distros.
Inotamira_Orani

BrightLord wrote:It's about making a portable cmake file or something this way. All libraries used are portable for mac osx and most linux distros.
So (and I'm not trying to be a dick here) if the project where open source, this would probably already have been done? I'm not suggesting it SHOULD be, but it sounds like this wouldn't take a termendous amount of effort, just that the people who ARE on the project either aren't concerned with that currently or don't know how?
BrightLord

Post by BrightLord »

If it was open source it would most likely die just like most of other similar project before getting anywhere usable for end users. :)
Inotamira_Orani

BrightLord wrote:If it was open source it would most likely die just like most of other similar project before getting anywhere usable for end users. :)
yes, I fully comprehend that, that wasn't my point OR question
BrightLord

Post by BrightLord »

All assets are already portable so it's just matter of installing linux physically on computer and setting it up to build. Mac osx and Linux versions will happen some time in future.

There was even native mac osx version one year ago but that was still early alpha.
Inotamira_Orani

BrightLord wrote:All assets are already portable so it's just matter of installing linux physically on computer and setting it up to build. Mac osx and Linux versions will happen some time in future.

There was even native mac osx version one year ago but that was still early alpha.
Well I mean, if that's the case, virtual box or any number of virtual machine programs could solve that right?
BrightLord

Post by BrightLord »

Tchernobog version already builds linux binary but i cant test it on virtual box yet due to opengl not working there for some reason.
qualakon

Post by qualakon »

I can test for you if you want.
sir.krist

Post by sir.krist »

I can also test if needed.

if memory serves correctly, this is using SDL , GLEW, OpenGl and OpenAl. This should work perfectly fine in Linux with minor changes here and there.

it probably works even in the windows format in Wine just fine.

As log as we avoid the dreaded DirectX I think we're fine.
“If Microsoft ever does applications for Linux it means I've won.” -- Linus Torvalds