Early game advice/general advice

Diablo 1 HD, codename Belzebub - General forum.
jamineal

Early game advice/general advice

Post by jamineal »

So I've played through with a sorceror so far a while back. I enjoy playing solo self found playstyles, so I figured I'd ask and help maybe build a repository of information and advice.

So, if you guys wanna leave a little bit of info about any of the classes or just general tips, this would be the place. Personally, I'm wondering what's a good strategy for the Necromancer in the early game. Just kinda whackem with staves, sword and board it and just kinda grit your teeth and bare it until you get skellies?
Fastynator

Post by Fastynator »

Generally: Try to get the 'Lightning' as high as possible as early as possible. If you see it in Adria's store, the book is worth the 3000 Gold. This is the spell that can one shot almost anything at the cheap cost of around 8-13 mana. Considering how difficult this game can get, you will be thankful to have it upon entering the 'Caves' stages or running into Goat Archers. Having both 'Dark Pact' and 'Healing' allows to restore Hit Points and Mana and saves a lot of potions when the costs are balanced out correctly. This is especially useful in early game.
And another VERY important hint: Defense becomes very important throughout the game. It might not feel like this early on, but a high amount of Hit Points and max resistances are not a luxury, but become an obligation if you don't want to die fast against regular enemies and even almost instantly against bosses.

Necromancer: At the start, you will have to go into melee combat. You can start with the staff, but place a sword/mace and shield on the second slot as early as possible. The hit chance is poor, but the staff of healing is accomodating for it. Should you be get lucky and find a sword, mace, ring, or amulet that gives a '+To Hit' bonus, use it for now. The Necromancer also starts with the 'Frost Shard' spell, so you have a few free shots you should use until the Level Up restores your Mana again. The Zombie is skill is only good whenever you need a distraction (e.g. large groups, boss).
Once you find the Dark Pact spell which restores mana, you can cast spells way more often than before. Should you have some spells with a good level (like 2 or 3), you can finally leave the path of melee and fully focus on spellcasting.
With skeletons, you will have decoys that you can cast at will. Get used to change to the hotkey you set up for the skeleton skill very often. On Normal difficulty, they are, unfortunately, nothing more than a decoy that go down very fast and your spellcasting is responsible for about 95% of the work. It is the Nightmare difficulty where they finally start to be able to fight on their own.
Stats allocation is one of the hardest topics so I cannot guarantee the effectiveness of my suggestion for later in the game. Since spellcasting is very important throughout Normal difficulty, I would start with increasing MAG to at least 60 in order to have a good base for learning spells early in the game. Equipment should be able to do the rest from that moment. Increase STR to 25 so you can wear 'Arkaine's Valor' and maybe some points more so you can at least wear the 'Heavy Belt'. From there on, everything into VIT. Although you will not feel any porgress for the skeletons on Normal difficulty, it will probably make a big difference in later difficulties. VIT also increases Hit Points which you will need badly for the finale of Normal difficulty.

I will focus on the Assassin in another post.
sergio_cannabis

Post by sergio_cannabis »

Hit points are NOT important for a sorceror as you get mana shield as a skill.
jamineal

Post by jamineal »

I think my tip for sorceries would be:

You have staff recharge. Use that lightning staff you get in the beginning. That thing will carry you for a long time. Vit might FEEL like a desirable stat at first, but don't do it. Magic all the way. You'll get energy shield very soon and you'll forget what the red bubble was in the first place. Also, Guardians. Guardian and Lightning can basically carry you forever.
jamineal

Post by jamineal »

Any and all advice is appreciated guys, feel free to stop in.

Personally, I'm hitting a bit of a speedbump in the mid game. I've put all my points into VIT so far. My skellies are getting fairly meaty, but it doesn't seem that they're scaling as fast as the mobs do. Do I need to remake and go straight MAG or is VIT fine?
Wendigo

Post by Wendigo »

How much have you played around with Corpse Explosion and Revive? Personally, I think they're the two best skills for the later game, if not the whole game: CX is heavy blast non-elemental damage, which means it's getting better as your spells start losing their punch; Revive means the deeper you go in the dungeon the better the guy you're reviving. I dunno, though, that's just my personal opinion, there seems to be a lot of contention on how good they are.. you do definitely need to practice with them because it can get hard doing all that hotkey switching in the heat of the moment.
Butcher's Brains Collected: 10
Izual's Brains Collected: 1
Smith's Brains Collected: 2
Andariel's Brains Collected: 1
jamineal

Post by jamineal »

Haven't got Revive yet, one level away. Clearing around floor 10-11 is a real slog. My skellies aren't quite beefy enough and my spells are a tad lackluster. But yeah, I use corpse explosion pretty liberally. I hate that the radius seems to be pretty low. Does the AOE scale with level, by any chance? Does it just stay at one square ish?
denton77

Post by denton77 »

Sorceror and Necromancer are good for "Normal" and "Nightmare". I stopped playing with sorceror on "Hell", because it got not fun at all. On later difficulty levels almost everyone has huge resistances or are immune to magic.
Most powerfull class is "Rogue". All points to dexterity+Heartseeker+ sightless eye. Rogue damage is insane.
Ugily

Post by Ugily »

There is no doubt there are balance issues with each class, but all are playable to a high degree and challenge. I have played all of the classes and are deep into Torment level with all of them. Am level 46-56.

Have only defeated Torment Diablo with the Rogue and it was a piece of cake. Necro could win but takes too long to clear Terror Domain for my available game time. Barb, Warrior, and Assassin are only at early stages of Torment.

There are balance issues with equipment, most items are only good up until Hell. This really affects equipment builds to try out the many possible equipment options. This is minor however. All of the classes gravitate to the most powerful ITD and %Crit items and forget about creative builds.
denton77

Post by denton77 »

Torment Diablo is piece of cake for rogue, and she is the only class that can beat torment on "player 10".