Dungeon level reset on return?

Diablo 1 HD, codename Belzebub - General forum.
3nd34v0r

Dungeon level reset on return?

Post by 3nd34v0r »

It seems like when I quit the game and log back on, all the dungeon levels are re-randomized and I have no progress on discovering the map. Also, Gharbad the Weak reappeared, but when I killed him, he didn't drop anything. (He did drop the money and an item when talking to him the time prior to him attacking you).

I was just wondering if this was intended or not, and if not, is there some way to fix this?
DacianDraco

Post by DacianDraco »

Yes all dungeon levels regenerate with each game you load and it's intended, you have new waypoints for all even nr levels plus the classic entrances to most uneven nr dungeons.

And if you completed Gharbad the Weak quest in a previous game, you can still get his dialogue, random items on speech, and on death he is like other monster, as in he can drop whatever or nothing.
3nd34v0r

Post by 3nd34v0r »

Thanks for the response. Do you know if the original Diablo was like this? I thought that once you entered a dungeon level for the first time, the layout was set, but it's been a very long time since I last played
DacianDraco

Post by DacianDraco »

I know vanilla D1 wasn't like this, but in this mod i feel the change is welcomed by most players, it encourages replayability, you can reroll the map to get other monster types if the ones that spawned are too tough for your class, you can farm, you can grind, all the usual stuff you do in current ARPGs but couldn't do before in vanilla D1. Also the special levels (Leoric's Tomb, Chamber of Bone, etc) and the new areas added (Infested Cellar, Forest's Edge, etc) are fixed, so you can learn them, for the others that lead you down to Diablo himself it's an adventure each time you load the game.
3nd34v0r

Post by 3nd34v0r »

Ahh okay, I see. Thank you for all your help!
nodrm

Post by nodrm »

Vanilla D1:
- SP (single player): once you start the game, randomization takes place. All items, monsters (dead or alive), quests remain the same. You have Save & Load to return to the game state. Choosing New Game will cause another randomization and will reset quests, the player only keeping what's in his inventory and belt (and stats of course). Only the normal difficulty is available (there were some hacks that allowed playing in higher difficulty).
- MP (multi player): each game is different. Only several quests are available. Players only keep what's in their inventory and belt (and stats). You can play on Nightmare and Hell difficulty.

Diablo 2 changed the gameplay model to D1 MP-like (except the quests, which remain finished once completed): each new game monsters reappear. Saving only keeps the player state (attributes, skills, items). Entering a new level means autosave.

Belzebub and Tchernobog are similar to Diablo 2 in this manner :)
Keighn

Post by Keighn »

Yeah, this version rocks a lot. It will prepare you for D2 nicely.

I wish it had poison. There's a few features or maps from TheHell and abysmal I wish it had as well but it's damn impressive anyways.

In thehell the special maps like leorics tomb, water passage, etc became bigger each difficulty. I would have loved to seen those sized maps here.

I would have liked to seen the one diablo animation where he has a red ball in his hands (probably when the suns on the map turns red).

Naturally, there was hellfire but besides the added levels (which I wonder if they couldn't have been changed would be neat.

Anyone ever notice the church has height but we always descend. Upper levels of the church would be cool. Heck can diablo be modded beyond the number of maps (double the number or triple etc) expand the size boundaries.

I've deviated. I do love the mod.