Waypoints /Check points / Saving

Diablo 1 HD, codename Belzebub - General forum.
Phenoe

Waypoints /Check points / Saving

Post by Phenoe »

I'll be brief. Thanks for your help in advance.

This game has no real save function. This means that whenever I wish to turn my computer off, then I have to go through ALL of the dungeon again, hacking and slashing my way through right to level 4 or whatever.

Then I learn there are checkpoints.. so I find one on level 2... but then not on level 3. Am I missing something? Are are checkpoints not often found.. maybe randomly generated?

Thanks for your help.
Emmeline

Post by Emmeline »

The waypoints are every 2 levels. So, levels 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12, 14 and 16.
Additional 'waypoints' (which are stairwells) are for levels 5 (Catacombs), level 9 (Cave) and 13 (Hell).
Phenoe

Post by Phenoe »

Thank you for your kind reply.

So is the thinking, that you should only really play (if you want to progress in the games quests etc) if you have got the time to clear two levels at a time.

I love this mod, but it is incredibly frustrating that I cannot just sit down for 10 minutes and play the game without my progress being lost. Is there any advice you guys might have? OR is that the logic of the game? I.E. Working as intended?

Thank you :)
Emmeline

Post by Emmeline »

Not really. Even if you only finish half a level, its slight character progression.
The ideal is to be able to complete 2 levels so it 'saves' in a way. However, if you can't complete 2 levels - the above would apply. That being said, some of the quests are on the same level as waypoints. Two examples that come to mind are the Butcher (level 2) and the Chamber of Bone (level 6). In fact, the latter seems to spawn relatively close to the waypoint from what I've noticed (I've been farming this dungeon on $PLAYER 10 on Nightmare (level 33 Sorc here) to try and level my char up somewhat, get stuff to salvage for crafting materials, and see if I can get some slightly better gear in the process. Plus give myself a good challenge in the process to see how fast I can complete it without getting killed, ahah)
You're welcome, by the way. :)
Constance

Post by Constance »

Hey there .o/

I found that question interesting as I also sometimes play for only 1 hour and, due to my obsessive compulsive disease of always cleaning the whole level, don't always have enough time to go down 2 levels and find the waypoint.
And so, I did a bit of searching around, but found this answer : http://superuser.com/questions/215363/i ... separately basically, your best bet seems to be to install the game in a dedicated virtual machine and hibernate it whenever you want to "save and quit" :/

Unless of course someday an update to the game adds more "Diablo 1-like" saves.
Phenoe

Post by Phenoe »

Yes, thanks for the tip on that virtual machine stuff.

When I first started playing this mod a few weeks a go, at first I was incredibly frustrated with this constant resetting of progress.

But then I thought, in many ways, the save function of this mod is not unlike dungeon-esque games of the time. Indeed I believe it is designed to mimic the Diablo II system. Think back to the Zelda games, and they would always reset (mobs respawn included) everytime you exited the dungeon or turned off the system.

But I think the frustration in this mod's case is caused by the lack of clarity. The mod is excellent, but someone (more knowledgable than I) needs to compile a proper list of all the kinds of things that a newcomer would be interested in hearing. Its no use really just saying 'we have added waypoints'. Also unlike Zelda or something similar, its not just respawned mods, but a completly randomised dungeon to pile through.

Now I know how the system works, I find the game much more enjoyable and I am able to pace myself properly! :)