Bugs and suggestions

Diablo 1 HD, codename Belzebub - General forum.
Rota

Post by Rota »

Trust me I used a trick for farming items and rly at 1 hour of play identified more than 300 items in town, identify didn't made any problem for me...
But ok, lets say it's nice idea of this button. But some of features are just the rules of the game, every game got things that can a bit dissapoint us but it make game more "real'

Now i see that u al conviced me to add this option :)
Constance

Post by Constance »

Come on, whenever anyone talks about making the game more "real", you should already know it's likely to be irrelevant. I mean, we're talking about a game where you can use magic spells and enchanted items like it is almost part of basic education, to fight demons, undead and such... enough said ? ;D
alephnaught

Game freezes when talking to Griswold

Post by alephnaught »

This is a truly amazing piece of work, incredibly professional and refreshingly lacking in the rough edges that usually characterise these projects.

The game is running extremely well for me under Wine in OSX, however, I am getting fairly frequent freezes while attempting to trade with Griswold. So far it's only happened when I've talked to him while he's hanging out with Pepin the Healer; that could just be coincidence though. Also, a couple of times I've had drops land several rooms away from where a monster's been killed, not sure if that's the mod or just a Diablo thing.

Oh, and one final minor suggestion: how's about some kind of error or warning message if the game can't load OpenAL32.dll? I had to set it as a library override in my Wine settings to get sound, but it took me forever to figure out that that was the problem, since the only feedback the game gives is silence and an uncooperative volume slider. ;)

Again, great work. I am super impressed. :D
alephnaught

Post by alephnaught »

Two more suggestions, while I'm here:

- Incorporate Hellfire. I'm sure you get that a lot. ;) I'm aware it has balance issues, but that's something that could be addressed with the same kinds of changes you've made to the original. And secondly,
- Personally I'm really enjoying the gameplay changes that you've made, but for purists or people playing for nostalgia purposes it'd be nice to have an HD "Vanilla Mode". Keep the improved visuals and interface and other various conveniences, but switch off the extra spells/items/vendors/quests etc.
thecurse

Post by thecurse »

as said a lot of times yet, hellfire will not be included.

the "new" stuff is actually been part of diablo 1 code all along, it was just deactivated/not finished. i´m not sure if i could ever play "regular" d1 after playing this mod even once. :P

had a crash yesterday again, game froze when killing a champion horned beast thingy in the caves.
but fortunately crashes seem to be really really rare.
Martim

Post by Martim »

I'm having those crashes, too. They seem random, but it appears that is more common when the screen is full of spells , or when I kill some bosses (I don't know exactaly which, but the last time it happened was with the summoner, hell dificulty).
riesa

Post by riesa »

alephnaught wrote: - Incorporate Hellfire. I'm sure you get that a lot. ;)
And they get a lot 'DON'T incorporate Hellfire'.

@All-of-you-wanting-identify-all-button: You all are saying that many things was brought here from D2 so why not this option?! Do you know that Cain in D1 and in D2 are identifying differently? No, Cain shouldn't identify items for free so no, he shouldn't have 'identify all' option.
radicool

Post by radicool »

Do you know that Cain in D1 and in D2 are identifying differently? No, Cain shouldn't identify items for free so no, he shouldn't have 'identify all' option.
Why are you under the impression that identify all would or should make it free? Lol. It will work just like the repair all feature. You pay 100 gold (identify cost) times the number of items you are identifying. If you dont have enough gold, then you can't use the identify all option.

100 x number of unidentified items = gold cost
- Personally I'm really enjoying the gameplay changes that you've made, but for purists or people playing for nostalgia purposes it'd be nice to have an HD "Vanilla Mode". Keep the improved visuals and interface and other various conveniences, but switch off the extra spells/items/vendors/quests etc.
I doubt this would happen. I'd imagine it would be a lot of work for the devs to develop 2 games simultaneously.
Come on, whenever anyone talks about making the game more "real", you should already know it's likely to be irrelevant. I mean, we're talking about a game where you can use magic spells and enchanted items like it is almost part of basic education, to fight demons, undead and such... enough said ? ;D
I disagree. I think when referring to how realistic a game is, we mean to say how beleivable and natural the game's elements are. For example, how beleivable a story is and consistency of the game's themes.

A game puts a lot of effort into creating it's theme. Diablo is a dark, fantasy, horror, action, medieval kind of game. A game needs to be true to it's theme or else it it looks unrealistic. Once a theme is set you can't start throwing in cars, skyscrapers and aliens because thats upsets the theme or throws out the realism of the game.
riesa

Post by riesa »

So you say you want both - identify specific and all option? Because if there will be identify all with 100g cost, then what? Newcomers gonna hunt for only yellow items to make gold to have it for next time? Especially that newcomers usually don't read crucial topics on forum?

About impressions, you know... I'm still under ONE impression when it's about, let's say, 'identify issue'. That some people want to have some easy things such easier to maybe do it with few blinks of an eye. Because when you move few more muscles then it's stupid. Even when time sacrificed is same with both methods.
Constance

Post by Constance »

radicool wrote:I disagree. I think when referring to how realistic a game is, we mean to say how beleivable and natural the game's elements are.[…]
Yeah, that was a hasty, half-troll comment on my part (and I had drank quite a bit of beer, which doesn't help ^^').
However, I'm no language expert, but then I guess "real" and its variants are not the right words to use then. Perhaps "credible", "practical", "faithful" or some other words might be more suitable.
Nikodemsky

Post by Nikodemsky »

riesa wrote:
alephnaught wrote: - Incorporate Hellfire. I'm sure you get that a lot. ;)
And they get a lot 'DON'T incorporate Hellfire'.
I'm not really sure why people are against it. I mean i get the "no monk" or some of the other parts, but why "no for hellfire levels"? Crypt and Hive were designed pretty nice and it's few additional gameplay hours. I would not push for it but i don't really understand all the hate for Hellfire.
riesa wrote: So you say you want both - identify specific and all option? Because if there will be identify all with 100g cost, then what? Newcomers gonna hunt for only yellow items to make gold to have it for next time?
Identify - 100g
Identify all - 100g x number_of_items_to_identify

Problem fixed.
d4rki

Post by d4rki »

Gharbad The Weak quest seems bugged for me. Nothing changes after i talk to him and go away and go back to him even when i go to another lvl.
Nikodemsky

Post by Nikodemsky »

d4rki wrote:Gharbad The Weak quest seems bugged for me. Nothing changes after i talk to him and go away and go back to him even when i go to another lvl.
Talk to him twice, when you meet him first time, then slay few mobs and go back after ~10 minutes, after you get "gift" repeat all sequence.
Wingard

Post by Wingard »

Okay im here to end this "identify all" case.

In case someone does not know that, Deckard cain actually is ALREADY taking 100 gp per item to identify all items in Diablo 2. Its possible if we dont rescue him by ourselves there. Here is the trivia paragraph from diablo wikia:

"If you do not rescue Deckard Cain before continuing to Act II, it will be considered a failed quest until a new game has been made. In this case, Deckard Cain will tell you that he was rescued by the Rogues, and you will have to pay 100 gold per item to have them identified by him. This is the only quest in Diablo II that can be failed. "

http://s21.postimg.org/6qjpp5kgn/cainprice.png

And its true, and its in the vanilla Diablo 2, meaning not-modded. Of course 99,9% of players rescue him anyway, but thats not the point. It was to prove that even Blizzard did some thinking and came up with the conclusion that it will be a good idea. Old method of identification is simply outdated, even by some simple logic:
- its not costly
- it takes less time to identify them all than to identify every single one separately
- there is not much reasons of wanting to NOT identify an item we have
- also there is not much reasons of wanting to identify them separately if we want them ALL to be identified

The last three of these four points are the main ones that go greatly along with each other in terms of logic in this issue.

The only counter-argument a person could have to these is for the first point since new characters do not tend to sleep on gold piles. True, but financial situation changes very quickly (within few dungeon and character levels) and every Diablo 1 players knows that.
The other counter argument i can think of is "its against the original Diablo 1" said by some purist. But... isnt the whole mod against it? If you want to play the pure, not-modded Diablo 1 what the hell are you doing on this forum?
And even if someone would like to identify only one of the items there is always a scroll to buy from Adria.

Therefore, in my not-so-humble opinion, i think that "Identify all" option turns out to be a GOOD idea. Lets move on and discuss more important matters!

that was fun :P next i think i could work on "should Hellfire content be added into Belzebub?" issue
sergio_cannabis

Post by sergio_cannabis »

good point wingard.