Version b1.033 - bugs and suggestions

Diablo 1 HD, codename Belzebub - General forum.
sergio_cannabis

Post by sergio_cannabis »

If the shield block mechanism acts like mentioned in the lastost this should be changed tooriginal blocking mechanism. In vanilla diablo projectiles would onl be blocked if the wearer of the shield got 0 resistancex againsr that megical projectile.
SlapZ

Post by SlapZ »

BrightLord, is Assasin going to be fine after the change with Diablo seeing through Invisibility?

I admit I haven't played Sin and Barb for now (I started with 3 classic classes to have reference for the new ones), but making the Big D immune to sin's core skill sounds kind of harsh.

[edit]
Also:
Constance wrote: (...) Anyway, I've been playing a Warrior for a few days now and it seems that the shield can block incoming magic projectiles. I don't think it was the case in the original game, and it's a major pain in the arse if you get in the middle of a room with many spellcasters, cause then you can actually be completely locked in one place, unable to do anything but block :/
Block worked in D1 for direct projectiles, both on physical ones like arrows, and magical ones like Bloodstar. And yes, you could have been block-locked, especially in hell fighting a large number of succubi.

That is exactly why Stormshield was basically the only usefull Unique shield in D1 - It had good AC and Fast Block. Block animations were quicker, shorter, and it lessened the chances of getting stunlocked (it still could happen though).
sergio_cannabis

Nope - this blocking you talk about only existed in hellfire and was a pain in the ass.
Constance

Post by Constance »

I second what sergio says.
It *never* happened to me in D1 and I always used blue named shields.
Quote from Jarulf's guide, v1.62, page 8 (or page 13 according to Adobe Reader):
« When you are hit by a melee weapon, an arrow, or magic (while not having any resistance), you will try to block the attack (in Hellfire you will try to block even if you have resistance). »
So it boils down to "you only should be blocking magic attacks if you have no resistance to these".
Jenny Wakeman

Post by Jenny Wakeman »

Ok so i got a lot of gold in my stash ( got 2 boxes of gold, 200 mil. gold), now i usually don t pick anymore gold cuz i don t have what to do whit it, soo a good thing would be to somehow spend it in gambling, but after my experience of investment in gambling, y won t get nothing good off it, and not to mentione the 1 h y spend at gambling, so a posibility could be to somehow increase the chance to find uniques, rares, set item at gambling. Of course this would be good cuz it somehow force the player to collect gold in the hope that if he doesn t find something in the dungeons, he could spend the gold at gambling and maybe find some sweets there. Just pointing this out who knows people may be interested.
Constance

Post by Constance »

Constance wrote:[…] it seems that, when you have a contact weapon that also deals elemental damage, that elemental damage is applied to targets you attack even when your attack fails to hit them (?)
Oh and, this is also true the other way around, so any cold enchanted monster will always slow you down even if he doesn't actually hit you.
(That's one more reason why those "Possessed" monsters are a pain in the ass... as if their mana burn ability wasn't enough.)
sergio_cannabis

when i equip hwanins armor and helmet only the armor gets a special "set-single-item-bonus". the helmet does not. is this intended?

'cause i don't know any other set item that has no above declared bonus...
SlapZ

Post by SlapZ »

sergio_cannabis wrote:Nope - this blocking you talk about only existed in hellfire and was a pain in the ass.
Constance wrote:I second what sergio says. (...)
Ok - I took some time to check this (in-game in D1 & Hellfire, some online guides and so on), and I admit - my mistake. Constance and Sergio are right.

[edit]
Jenny Wakeman wrote:Ok so i got a lot of gold in my stash ( got 2 boxes of gold, 200 mil. gold), now i usually don t pick anymore gold cuz i don t have what to do whit it, soo a good thing would be to somehow spend it in gambling, but after my experience of investment in gambling, y won t get nothing good off it, and not to mentione the 1 h y spend at gambling, so a posibility could be to somehow increase the chance to find uniques, rares, set item at gambling. Of course this would be good cuz it somehow force the player to collect gold in the hope that if he doesn t find something in the dungeons, he could spend the gold at gambling and maybe find some sweets there. Just pointing this out who knows people may be interested.

I assumed "y" means you. Please - use full words and not one letter shortcuts.

Ontopic: Gambling is fine, In my humble opinion that is.
There are quite few rare items I gambled that were usefull for my character (mostly rings, amulets and staves), and I have a whole collection of gambled rare items that I saved and I will use one future characters.
Paar

Post by Paar »

I found a rather interesting bug when I cast a Town Portal spell near a pile of loot. See the pictures.

Image Image

First picture - everything seems fine.
Second picture - when I hover with my cursor above the Town Portal while holding the ALT key, some tooltips suddenly begin to behave strangely. See the placement and shape of the Scroll of Flash tooltip and 1476 golden pieces tooltip. And then the Large Axe and the Short Bow tooltips, you almost cannot see them.
Doubtful

Post by Doubtful »

Hello to all

1) General attack speed of chars is too fast. I think should be reduced. It will make balance issues easier later.

2)First of all love the fact that you added damage on shields. It makes absolute sense. Now... how about removing totally armor from shields? Shield is something that blocks damage but doesnt reduce it. Simply you block or you dont.

3)What does attributes give? Do all attributes work the same for all classes? Is the functioning of attributes going to change in the future? My conclusion is. We need to get informed from somwhere about their functioning.

4)Trap damage? I suggest you remove it totally :). It doesnt make sense since the damage taken from traps will be an already existing element. Physical, fire, magic etc.

5)Is the move speed of all chars the same? It would be better if this could change. Would make much sense.
6)Are you going to implement Running ability?
7)How about implementing Stamina ? Vitality can increase stamina. Stamina will be used in order to run and to make physical skills (barbarians specialization but not only). This way we can distinguish physical from magical skills. At this moment i want to emphasize that there are skills that do physical damage but their source of power is magic simply because such a skill cant be performed with physical power. Example? Think of Leap Attack skill in D2. The skill does physical damage (as it should) yet it costs mana (as it should). Why? because jumping that high and that long distance is something inhuman. So its source of power is magic. And it costs mana. This issue is something that needs to be dinstinguished when it comes to skills and their power.

8)Are you going to implement Boots and Gloves items?

9)Animal (aka beast) is something that doesnt belong to D1. The "animals" you see are now possessed by demonical/undead powers. They are no longer animals. My suggestion is to totally remove that functioning.

10)I dont understand how *Attack Time* and *Cast Time* work.
Example: 500 attack time. What does that mean?

11)The regen of monsters is absurd i dont understand whats the thought behind it. Why give monsters such regen? I would understand if a specific type of monster had fast regen due to specialization but all monsters?? doenst make sense.

12)What is Repulse damage? Is it Reflect damage?
riesa

Post by riesa »

Doubtful wrote:Hello to all

1) General attack speed of chars is too fast. I think should be reduces. It will make balance issues easier later.

2)First of all love the fact that you added damage on shields. It makes absolute sense. Now... how about removing totally armor from shields? Shield is something that blocks damage but doesnt reduce it. Simply you block or you dont.

3)What does attributes give? Do all attributes work the same for all classes? Is the functioning of attributes going to change in the future? My conclusion is. We need to get informed from somwhere about their functioning.

4)Trap damage? I suggest you remove it totally :). It doesnt make sense since the damage taken from traps will be an already existing element. Physical, fire, magic etc.

5)Is the move speed of all chars the same? It would be better if this could change. Would make much sense.
6)Are you going to implement Running ability?
7)How about implementing Stamina ? Vitality can increase stamina. Stamina will be used in order to run and to make physical skills (barbarians specialization but not only). This way we can distinguish physical from magical skills. At this moment i want to emphasize that there are skills that do physical damage but their source of power is magic simply because such a skill cant be performed with physical power. Example? Think of Leap Attack skill in D2. The skill does physical damage (as it should) yet it costs mana (as it should). Why? because jumping that high and that long distance is something inhuman. So its source of power is magic. And it costs mana. This issue is something that needs to be dinstinguished when it comes to skills and their power.

8)Are you going to implement Boots and Gloves items?

9)Animal (aka beast) is something that doesnt belong to D1. The "animals" you see are now possessed by demonical/undead powers. They are no longer animals. My suggestion is to totally remove that functioning.

10)I dont understand how *Attack Time* and *Cast Time* work.
Example: 500 attack time. What does that mean?

11)The regen of monsters is absurd i dont understand whats the thought behind it. Why give monsters such regen? I would understand if a specific type of monster had fast regen due to specialization but all monsters?? doenst make sense.

12)What is Repulse damage? Is it Reflect damage?
1) Not at all.
2) Try to imagine that you try to block an axe blow with shield made from paper or grass or something like that. How can you effectively block when shield doesn't have any armor value?
3) Did you ever played D1?
4) Yeah... Remove trap damage then remove traps...
5) Different move speeds doesn't have much sense.
6) Dungeons are too small to implement running. And you can have teleport spell...
8 ) Would be fun but not necessary or highly needed.
9) Same as point 3 - did you ever played D1? Originally some monster were animals so how they don't belong to D1? O.o
10) Less frames animation - attack/cast takes shorter time
11) As you said in 9 - demonical/undead powers [; So it makes sense [;
Jenny Wakeman

Post by Jenny Wakeman »

The Occulus (unique item) is supposed to teleport you to where your mouse is pointing, but for some reason it acts more like a phasing spell, and sometimes just moves you like 1 square from you initial location.
Doubtful

Post by Doubtful »

1) Not at all.
2) Try to imagine that you try to block an axe blow with shield made from paper or grass or something like that. How can you effectively block when shield doesn't have any armor value?
3) Did you ever played D1?
4) Yeah... Remove trap damage then remove traps...
5) Different move speeds doesn't have much sense.
6) Dungeons are too small to implement running. And you can have teleport spell...
8 ) Would be fun but not necessary or highly needed.
9) Same as point 3 - did you ever played D1? Originally some monster were animals so how they don't belong to D1? O.o
10) Less frames animation - attack/cast takes shorter time
11) As you said in 9 - demonical/undead powers [; So it makes sense [;
who are you? are you one of the developers?
Constance

Post by Constance »

Hello :]
Doubtful wrote:1) General attack speed of chars is too fast. I think should be reduced. It will make balance issues easier later.
Huh, wait, what ?
There actually are several attack speeds depending on which weapon you equip, from "very slow" to "very fast" from what I've seen so far.
Though I don't really like that (since basically all slow weapons seem kinda useless), I don't think your statement is correct either.
Doubtful wrote:11)The regen of monsters is absurd i dont understand whats the thought behind it. Why give monsters such regen? I would understand if a specific type of monster had fast regen due to specialization but all monsters?? doenst make sense.
I'm pretty sure the monsters did regen in the original game too. Quote from Pepin the Healer, from my memory : "I have made a very insteresting discovery. Unlike us, the creatures in the labyrinth can heal themselves, without the aid of potions or magic."
riesa

Post by riesa »

Doubtful wrote: who are you? are you one of the developers?
Nope, just a D1 fan.
Constance wrote: I'm pretty sure the monsters did regen in the original game too. Quote from Pepin the Healer, from my memory : "I have made a very insteresting discovery. Unlike us, the creatures in the labyrinth can heal themselves, without the aid of potions or magic."
Yup. In original game and in all the mods. There were just different regen speeds depended on mods. Or speed was same but different display... Can't remember. Point is that it always was present in Diablo.