is there a formula to salvaging?

Diablo 1 HD, codename Belzebub - General forum.
Jarring

is there a formula to salvaging?

Post by Jarring »

like.. do specific affixes have chances to give you specific gems/oil/etc??
or is it all just completely random?
do you get more/better materials for rare/unique items??

My main question is about the Arcane Tokens and Symbol of Powers.
Is there any specific affix or type of item that would give you these materials? Or is it just random?

ANY information on the subject would be awesome...I've been shooting in the dark from the very beginning while playing this game not really knowing anything about it.

The first time I found a book for Apocalypse, it blew my mind, I had no idea...what a pleasant surprise.. lol, lots of pleasant surprises with this mod, I love it. Props to the creator, you've done a fantastic job.
zeenio

Re: is there a formula to salvaging?

Post by zeenio »

Hey, where did you find the Apocalypse spell? I'm currently a sorceror on Nightmare
page

Re: is there a formula to salvaging?

Post by page »

If I remember correctly:

silver oil - only from crafted items - need some for some of the all res or lightning res crafts
azure oil - only from magic/blue items - you need lots of these to roll the dice on any of your crafts a lot
crimson oil - only from rare/yellow items - need some, but not that many
golden oil - only from uniques - unfortunately barely usable, since it is only needed to upgrade uniques, which I have barely ever done.

The rest is either completely random with dependency on item magic level, i.e. what is the level of magical modification on it.

The difference in probability in getting an arcane token or a symbol of power is exactly that, item magical modification level.

As a rule of thumb for example, to get the most sought after alchemist box (next tier after symbol), anything above lvl 42 is worth a salvage to try and get a box, but usually it is more around magic mod level 48 that you really get them consistently.

Since you do not see the level of the modification before you have an id on the item, you can pre select by item level (I.e. the "white version's" level), since item level seems to determine min modification level.
For the item levels, there is a guide somewhere out there (dont have a link right now, since I am not at home), where you can look up all base items and their level reqs.

BUT, any low level item found in higher levels CAN have a higher modification level, which you can see when ided!

Disclaimer: I used the terminology I developed myself for item level and magic modification level, no idea what the correct terms here are.