NM sorc troubles

Diablo 1 HD, codename Belzebub - General forum.
Herbdoctor

NM sorc troubles

Post by Herbdoctor »

I am struggling levels 14-16. I did manage to get to activating Diablo "minibosses" but was only able to beat one of them after 1241245254 deaths...

Chain Lightning 10
Golem 8
Meteor cluster 4
Guardian 10
Apocalypse 2
Blizzard 3

15 magic pen, 12 fire pen, spell levels +1

I did manage to grab celestial axe (cannot be frozen). I saw sorcs like to use that when they farm. I'm just holding onto it.

My questions:
Which items do I need to find (slots) to increase penetration?
There are certain Mobs that do not get hit at all, by fire, lightning, ice, etc... How do I handle these?
How do i change my qbinds or add more Qbinds aside from Function Keys?

----

D1sfigur3d

Re: NM sorc troubles

Post by D1sfigur3d »

I suggest that u study this thread first viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2298

Generally u r not supposed to have any troubles with sorc on nightmare as he’s probably most overpowered char until hell or even torment. Collect Harridans set. Improve ur chain lightning, guardian and golem, that’s all ur gonna need for the moment
Jarring

Post by Jarring »

I never had problems as a sorc in nightmare..
Meteor Cluster helped a lot with any major immunity problems that rose as a portion of its damage is physical...a lot of monsters eventually start to become immune to literally everything but physical damage, and the only way to deal with it is Meteor Cluster.. You could always try to run up and hit them in the face with your staff, but I wouldn't recommend it.

I'm still getting through hell mode on my sorc... I did run into a problem with the Risen Hero.. couldn't seem to kill that dude no matter how much i tried.. the only spell that seemed to work on him was Bone Spirit, and yes it did work on him, but he'd just keep healing himself.. with the way bone spirit works, i imagine there's no freaking way of killing this dude even with all of my cooldowns bells and whistles, you name it. IDK maybe I just need better gear, I am pretty under-geared considering I'm just walking through the game normally from scratch never really stopping to grind or anything.

tbh I think there might be some merit to just running up to them and hitting them in the face. melee sorc in d2 was a thing actually. Doubt it tho.. There isn't a single bow in the game a sorcerer would benefit from using, but he can use daggers and swords of the shorter variety. daggers are of course fast, the swords are relatively normal....and strangely enough flails are fast...? sorc gets...daggers and flails...mmk. I've always thought it was weird flails were a fast weapon in the diablo series, but the fact that it's fast for even the sorcerer is just funny. Maybe it's just been a joke this entire time, considering it's like...probably the most cumbersome weapon in existence. I've heard some historians actually doubt the legitimacy of its use in combat because of how cumbersome and downright dangerous it is to use one.
Herbdoctor

Post by Herbdoctor »

Thanks a lot guys!! Got through nightmare!

and now.. struggling with hell! haha. Apoc seems to help.
The problem, i believe, is that i just need to find more spell books.
apoc is only 6
i did get meteor cluster to 11 though.

and my golem is only 10(+2) ? ?
Jarring

Post by Jarring »

Herbdoctor wrote: 07 Aug, 2020 13:18 Thanks a lot guys!! Got through nightmare!

and now.. struggling with hell! haha. Apoc seems to help.
The problem, i believe, is that i just need to find more spell books.
apoc is only 6
i did get meteor cluster to 11 though.

and my golem is only 10(+2) ? ?
Ohhh dude I found a wicked map for farming books in "The Island of the Sunless Sea" quest in Hell mode.

There were 2 of those Thaumaturgy shrines that restore all chests/bookshelves armor/weapon racks, and 2 book shelves all right next to each other..
I was able to farm literally every book I'd ever need. It took awhile, and it was kind of a hassle with like.. millions of useless books laying around. lol

But yeah.. I could max out Apoc etc. as long as I have the Magic for it lol..

Also.. I'm finding Blizzard to be very useful.. It's a very good spell when it's got levels. Not to mention it stacks with itself.. it lasts 4 seconds, so you can have like 3 of them on top of each other at a time for a LOT of damage.. imho it's one of the best spells in the game.

What I'm having to worry about most atm is my mana pool.. all my spells cost so much mana, I'm always running out super fast..
For now I've been using a Wizardspike + Lidless Wall to kind of balance that out.. helps alot when i'm just clearing trash.. and just have a big staff on switch for any real threats..

Apoc is great but it costs so much mana.. if you can just use Meteor Cluster + Blizzard.. I love that combo. It works really well for most everything.. I put Chain Lightning on left click.

It seems I have to switch up my spells, like what I use, and in what order, etc. a lot.. pretty much have to adapt to every floor. Only way I was able to get through the later stages of Hell, and that experience is helping a lot in early Torment...

BTW there are quests that increase your golem and guardian level.. in order to make it easier on yourself, you should skip these quests in every difficulty until you've 11 hard points into each.. then do the quests in each difficulty to raise them both to max 15.
I kinda screwed that up on my sorcerer, and didn't realize it until I had already done the quests in both normal and nightmare.. D: