Can't create multiplayer game

Diablo 1 HD, codename Tchernbog - General forum.
Ajkilju

Can't create multiplayer game

Post by Ajkilju »

Hey guys.
So I just discovered this mod. I really want to go back to old times playing with friends.
Cause of some reason I can't create multiplayer game.
When creating I get an error saying something like'failed to create game. Server may be busy or game needs restarting (I'm not sure exactly as I'm not by my pc now).
I have tried multiple things but did not managed to make it work.
I'm running Windows 10pro. Opened UDP ports on my pc and router. Tried lot of things but still won't let me create a game
Did anyone else had similar problem?
Does anyone run win10 here and can create game with no problems?
I'm thinking maybe widlndows7 would work.

Anyone?
Thanks
M
danielson

Post by danielson »

I am using windows 7 64bit pro for like 5 years and have no problem with running Beelzebub/Tchernobog. Though occasionally I also encountered this failed to create game I got a solution from others (on the gone Tunngle :( ), for windows 7:

Delete the setup.bin file that is located at C:\Users\(USERNAME)\Documents\Diablo 1 Tchernobog\Settings\

I don't know if this helps you since I don't know win 10's folder structures.
nazgren

Post by nazgren »

Deleting setup.bin did not solve the issue.
Ajkilju

Post by Ajkilju »

Hey, thanks for the reply.
I'll try that, and if it won't work I'll consider installing windows 7.
kilin

Post by kilin »

I have similar problem and I can't fix.

When creating I get an error saying
"Falied to create hero. Attempt to create new hero has failed at save file creation."

Someone can help me?

thx..
Raz0r

Post by Raz0r »

I think it's not possible to play online anymore, because tunngle has been shut down and evolve. I used tunngle for years and it was such a good way of playing online, but since it doesn't work anymore, less players tried to play over evolve after that. I had a game like 10 hours open on evolve and nobody joined. It seemed very dead and I only used evolve then to trade items with community members. However, evolve has been shut down, too. So the only way I guess to play online would be hamachi, but I never used it and I never heared that people are using it to play online with each other
< Experienced Tchernobog player >
Miso_Niz

Post by Miso_Niz »

from my experience on overseas games (i live in JPN).

when i quit on some oversea games, saving data have failed sometimes.
then as a result i investigated, some games cant recognized account with "multibyte character set"(CJKV/Chinese-Japanese-Korean-Vietnamese).

- bad sample -
C:\Users\ &#12354;&#12356;&#12358;&#12360;&#12362;&#12363;&#12365;\Documents\Diablo 1 Tchernobog\Settings\
*red part is account name, some old oversea games cant understand red part (Japanese)

if you failed create save data even though run as administrator, check your account name on your pc.
account name with singlebyte character only is better for old overseas games imo.

although idk where are you and what language do you use on account, i will be glad if solves your issues.
Hygro

Post by Hygro »

I'm having this problem as well. It says "fail to create game" or similar.

It applies to single player as well as creating multiplayer. I can join multiplayer but cannot create any games.

I tried deleting the .bin file, tried moving all the characters in and out of the folder, restarted my computer, replaced all the tchernobog files with a fresher copy, no avail. Is there a temporary file written somewhere I need to delete?
danielson

Post by danielson »

I think this is about if the user account you are using on windows has admin rights or not. I don't think this will solve the problem but it won't hurt to try to run the game as administrator (right click and hold the mouse on Tchernobog.exe, then choose the "run as administrator" option at the popup list).

How to give administrator rights for windows 7 users: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96ZWycyofMM

Btw, join the discord channel of the EVOLVING Tchernobog! (yes, some hard workers picked the project up): https://discord.gg/82BaSAP. Maybe people can help you better there in live ;).
Hygro

Post by Hygro »

Hm, well I play on MacOS through a wine (windows emulator-ish) program called "PlayOnMac". It was working fine until it wasn't. No idea how to do windows administrator privileges through a partial emulation on a Mac.

Here's what I did today: I uninstalled the tchernobog from playonmac. I then deleted the playonmac application and reinstalled it. I reinstalled tchernobog on playonmac, this time the new 0.1.3 version! THE PROBLEM PERSISTS.

I wonder if the problem came about this way: We played some multiplayer. Then I played single player, exe still running. I closed my laptop, came back to it, opened it, logged back in my account, game was up, played some more, including starting new games. Quit out, and ever since, I'm having this error.

Here is the sequence after trying to create a game (does this for both SP and MP)

I had this once before and deleting setup.bin and moving my characters in and out of the folder fixed everything. But since those fixes aren't working this time, it must have been a coincidence. (I even did the game-freezes-at-selecting-character-while-joining-someone-else's-game-fix, sorta, by joining a game with all my characters one by one and opening and closing the stash.)
Last edited by Hygro on 05 Apr, 2019 4:45, edited 2 times in total.
Wendigo

Post by Wendigo »

If the WINE you're emulating on has a command prompt, simply type "sudo" (no quote marks) before any command you put in to grant it admin access. Otherwise here's a bunch of ways:
https://www.wikihow.com/Open-Applicatio ... s-on-a-Mac

As the article states, since Macs don't have admins you'll actually be cracking into the root directories so don't fuck around in there too much.
It may very well not be your issue, and heck maybe you've discovered a new bug to be patched (yay for getting things patched!), but I'd give those a try. Especially on a Mac the inability to create a private game space is almost always just a permissions issue.
Butcher's Brains Collected: 10
Izual's Brains Collected: 1
Smith's Brains Collected: 2
Andariel's Brains Collected: 1
Hygro

Post by Hygro »

Hmm the wine program runs everything as admin already. None of the "sudo" commands are working with any of the associated files within the application's packaged contents.

I'm left wondering where this program writes its temporary files (what windows path).
Hygro

Post by Hygro »

Quick update, I deleted all associated playonmac files hidden in my computer's "library" section and did a total complete and full reinstall of all things, the problem persists.
Wendigo

Post by Wendigo »

Is it gonna be a dealbreaker to suggest you try a different VM? My personal favorite is VirtualBox and I can confirm the game's stable on it.
https://www.virtualbox.org/
Butcher's Brains Collected: 10
Izual's Brains Collected: 1
Smith's Brains Collected: 2
Andariel's Brains Collected: 1
squint

Post by squint »

I was unable to create a game. I got off VPN and it worked.